Novus 33 inch

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

anonymous1977

Mar 3, 2021
NJ
I have a small living room where I want to minimize the amount of space taken. So a corner install will be most helpful. I have the permit closed out on a gas line install. I was considering the Jotul 305 gas stove but since then I feel having a corner fireplace might give a better ambience. I have been quoted about $6k for install, framing and drywall with one coat spackle done for a Novus 33 inch heatilator fireplace. This seems to be a very slim design taking the least amount of space. I need your help in understanding if this is a good model to put in or are there others to consider. The cost of the Jotul gas stove including install is $5k. Other considerations are since the room is small I don't want something where heat is so high that people are driven out.

The Novus is the entry level fireplace in the Heatilator line. It is reliable and functional but basically a bare bones option. If lower BTU's and saving space are important to you, then this one checks those boxes.

I am not an expert in efficiency ratings, in 25 years installing gas fireplaces, I have rarely been asked about them. Similar sized and similar priced units will usually have the same efficiency ratings.

Hmmm...interesting. Wouldn't this be an important parameter? For example Novus has a 44 pct efficiency rating versus the slimline which seems to have about 70 pct efficiency. Isnt the cost of energy usage higher with Novus? I asked the salesman about the slimline and his response was this. Does this make sense?

In terms of the Slimline, while the box itself is shallower, it doesn’t taper as much as the Novus fireplace. You can certainly do the Slimline, but in terms of the wall projection, it would actually stick out another 6 ½” from the corner than the Novus.

The HeatnGlo Slimline series does seem to have a higher efficiency rating but once again, I do not know what that difference translates into regarding energy usage.

You can download the respective install manuals and compare the framing requirements for corner installations.

Ok. Someone can correct me if I am wrong but I was interpreting as follows. If a unit has a 50 pct efficiency then I interpret this to mean 50pct of incoming fuel is wasted. The part I am unclear about if a unit has a 24000BTU rating and is 50pct efficient, does it mean it only produces 12000BTU.

Ok. Someone can correct me if I am wrong but I was interpreting as follows. If a unit has a 50 pct efficiency then I interpret this to mean 50pct of incoming fuel is wasted. The part I am unclear about if a unit has a 24000BTU rating and is 50pct efficient, does it mean it only produces 12000BTU.
Your calculations are correct.

Thank you. I have settled in on the following model Novus 33 inch NXT from heatilator It is a heat rated unit and has 67pct efficiency and 29k btu thereby putting the effective BTU at 19.4k btu. My only question is this seems misleading advertisement. Why not just advertise it as a 20k BTU?