OCD to a whole new level

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Raz

Feeling the Heat
Oct 16, 2012
Orange County, NY
So this is my first year burning and I am totally in awe of this stove. My wife has accused me of being OCD for many years because I like routines. I call it just that, routines while she calls me OCD. Whatever! So as I've gotten a little older I was standing my ground with the routine/ OCD comparison, but now that the stove is here I kinda see her point of view. I am constantly on this Forum, every store I go to I look for Pellets, I am always trying to now find the latest or best Pellet available to me in my area, on my lunch breaks I look for stores that have anything to do with Stoves/Pellets or accessories. My latest obsession is Pellets. Since I have the stove there is not much more to really do but clean it and enjoy the heat. But on the Pellet side I find myself researching and calling all over creation to find the best possible pellets. I just got 2 Tons of Hamers delivered today and I know I should be thrilled, but now I'm looking for the next greatest pellet and seeing how far or close they may be. I am finding many different dealers and making notes on where and when to visit. Possibly for next years stash....Below are my new Hamers, love these things. Hottest Pellet I've burned so far(not saying much, but this time next year I should have a few more quality brands under my belt). Wonder if this obsession will blow over? If not I may need some meds.

Attachments

• Hamers 1.JPG
    Hamers 1.JPG
    302 KB · Views: 175
  • Hamers 2.JPG
    Hamers 2.JPG
    212.2 KB · Views: 162
  • Hamers 3.JPG
    Hamers 3.JPG
    245.9 KB · Views: 162
So this is my first year burning and I am totally in awe of this stove. My wife has accused me of being OCD for many years because I like routines. I call it just that, routines while she calls me OCD. Whatever! So as I've gotten a little older I was standing my ground with the routine/ OCD comparison, but now that the stove is here I kinda see her point of view. I am constantly on this Forum, every store I go to I look for Pellets, I am always trying to now find the latest or best Pellet available to me in my area, on my lunch breaks I look for stores that have anything to do with Stoves/Pellets or accessories. My latest obsession is Pellets. Since I have the stove there is not much more to really do but clean it and enjoy the heat. But on the Pellet side I find myself researching and calling all over creation to find the best possible pellets. I just got 2 Tons of Hamers delivered today and I know I should be thrilled, but now I'm looking for the next greatest pellet and seeing how far or close they may be. I am finding many different dealers and making notes on where and when to visit. Possibly for next years stash....Below are my new Hamers, love these things. Hottest Pellet I've burned so far(not saying much, but this time next year I should have a few more quality brands under my belt). Wonder if this obsession will blow over? If not I may need some meds.
That is sexy right there!

Wonder if this obsession will blow over? If not I may need some meds.

Nope, You got swine flu(pretty bad too). Meds don't work at all. All that gives a bit of a relief is headin out and laying your hands on more pellet. Nice stash, Keep an eye out for them pigs!!!

Make sure you have 3 tons stashed next spring and will welcome you to the pellet pig club!

Hey, Who's got the van? ::-)

Nope, You got swine flu(pretty bad too). Meds don't work at all. All that gives a bit of a relief is headin out and laying your hands on more pellet. Nice stash, Keep an eye out for them pigs!!!

Make sure you have 3 tons stashed next spring and will welcome you to the pellet pig club!

Hey, Who's got the van? ::-)
Plan on stocking up over the summer- Hamers, Barefoots, Turmans (maybe), and Somersets...I plan on being a pig next year!

I said I'll try, not sure if I'll pull that one off.kinda like a wish list ;)
Hey Paul....didn't even realize that was you. Good speaking with you the other day. Good luck with the stove. Those Hamer's...They are great pellets.

I am having the same experience. I got tons of all kinds of pellets and I grab whatever I see. My internal mechanism to hoard/put in store for winter has manifested itself mightily with these pellets. I got nervous when my stash went below 3 tons. I flitter around that stove when it is running, and make sure the fireside stash is topped off. The first thing I ask my wife when I am on the road is how is the stove.

It's sick, but my house rarely gets below 75 anywhere. All good.

Are you checking the hopper every time you walk by?

Do you smooth the pellets when you have the hopper open?

Hey Paul....didn't even realize that was you. Good speaking with you the other day. Good luck with the stove. Those Hamer's...They are great pellets.
Hey how's it going? It was great speaking with you as well. If you noticed my list, half of that was from your tips so tks. I'll keep you posted and let you know how it works out. I may even come visit and grab my Turmans from you.

Ha! I actually do. As a matter of fact I'm going to go do that right now.

Reactions: The Ds
It doesn't get any better. Believe me!!

I have quite a few pellets at home and was out on Monday and picked up 2 other brands (5 bags of each) and was on my way home today and got 2 other brands (5 bags each/5 bags will give you a great idea on heat and ash).

So even though I am good for awhile (About 3 yrs worth) I still added 20 bags in 5 days to the stash..

Its a fun hobby and keeps the Wife and kids warm!! Oh and I am about as OCD as they come. Your in good company ;)

My stove has a warning not to open the hopper lid when the stove is running. Am I living on the edge when I smooth out the stack?

Every time on both.....my wife says I'm obsessed with my pellet stove, at least I can admit to this one, LOL!
Hi, my name is Darryl and I'm a compulsive pellet stove head
banana.gif
banana.gif
banana.gif
what do you do
smiley-face-angel-003.gif

My stove has a warning not to open the hopper lid when the stove is running. Am I living on the edge when I smooth out the stack?
Heck no, fondle them pellets, smooth 'em out, close hopper lid, repeat, LOL!!!

The stove installer told me not to stash pellets as they will get old and lose the density. Is this true?

I also am new and have burning since turkey day. I am reading this forum every day and researching pellets. When I go away and call my wife the first thing I say is how warm is it and how is the stove.

Look at some of the stashes some of these people have listed in their signature. There's a reason the term "Pellet Pig" was coined.

nice, only cure is a mouse ;)
Got my poison positioned all around the pellets to take care of that. They eat it like candy. Plus I have 2 outdoor cats. One is a certified mouse,rabbit,squirrel,chipmunk etc killer.

your post made me crack up. i'm two weeks into the whole pellet stove experience. it's been a blast so far. no pallets yet - still burning a couple of bags of whatever i can get ahold of. "try before you buy". i've probably got 10 different brands of pellets in the garage right now. just waiting for the temperatures to really dip before i whip out the "good stuff".

your post made me crack up. i'm two weeks into the whole pellet stove experience. it's been a blast so far. no pallets yet - still burning a couple of bags of whatever i can get ahold of. "try before you buy". i've probably got 10 different brands of pellets in the garage right now. just waiting for the temperatures to really dip before i whip out the "good stuff".
10 different brands? Wow, I started with 5 and was almost confused. I had to start writing stuff down. Nowhere the level of some of these guys with their tests, but for my benefit it works.

i have a list on my iphone.

here's what i've hoarded so far:

1. somersets
2. green teams
3. north americans
4. green supremes
5. cheat rivers
6. clean fires
7. green golds
8. big heats
9. powerhouses
10. instant heats

watch out! i'm on the prowl.

The stove installer told me not to stash pellets as they will get old and lose the density. Is this true?
I started my pellet busness 7 years ago in an old dairy barn in a neighboring town to where I am now. I still have an open pallet of pellets up there from 7 years ago and every year I grab a few bags off of it to try out. To date, they still burn just as well as they did back then. Do not be afraid to "stash" regardsless of what your installer says. I'd bet that he stashes too!!!

And I thought I was the only one that did that, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one out there that's sick in the head.

And I thought I was the only one that did that, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one out there that's sick in the head.

There's lots of us. There was a thread last year about OCD that was hilarious, until it dawned on me I did everything that was being described.

Smooth is that code for fondle ;lol I do it too!

Status
Not open for further replies.