Odd problem with 1993 FireFox Lopi pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pelletpot

Dec 17, 2015
WA
The stove runs perfectly sometimes......Other times when I try to start it.....by pressing the power switch then pressing the Start switch... it just buzzes. The orange power light will come on with each press of the start switch but not stay on. It will not start the fan the auger or anything. The next day when I try to start it it will likely start and run. Sometimes it goes out after a few hours. Other times it will run perfectly fine until it is turned off or it may run and start many times in a row before experiencing the buzzing and not starting again.

Anyone experience anything like this or have any ideas?

Makes you wonder if it is the switches themselves or the control board. Could troubleshoot the limit switches and vac switch just to rule them out.

Attachments

• Travis Pellet Appliance Troubleshooting.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 2,824
Makes you wonder if it is the switches themselves or the control board. Could troubleshoot the limit switches and vac switch just to rule them out.

Thanks, yes I have jumped the limit switches previously, no change. I will do the vacuum switch next time it malfunctions, which could be a few hours to a few days . Last stretch it ran for a few weeks perfectly. I only run this stove at night to heat the up stairs. It would not turn on last night but tried it this morning and it runs fine again. Don't need heat up there til evening. Yes I could run it today instead of waiting for evening but since the problem is intermittent and sometimes doesn't happen for hours, days even weeks it's possible it would run fine and then not run tonight when we need it. Might just wait for it to happen again.

PS how test control board? Actually it doesn't have a control board unless you mean of course the user control box in this older Lopi firefox or the Switch box with the power and start switches?

Last edited:
Any other ideas? Something is causing this stove to just Buzz and not turn on at odd intermittent times. I am going to retest the snap discs all 3 of them. How do I jump the one with 3 prongs? I must not have done that one last time because I don't know how to jump one with 3 prongs (system snap disc)

I got a few minutes to work on the stove just now.....Today the Auger motor will not run unless wired direct and plugged into wall, then seems to run fine.

I have another older Lopi for parts so swapped out the switch box with the power, start, auger feed rate and fan speed on it.....no change.

With the auger wired direct stove runs great although pellet feed is HIGH of course. Both the exhaust and convection fans work well. I checked vacuum ribber line - not plugged or damaged. The metal tube it connects to at end opposite the flow switch is free, I can blow into it easily. Stove vent pipe not clogged and was cleaned only 6 weeks ago and stove only get used half time.

I didn't get time yet to jump the snap discs as the exhaust and convection fans have to be removed to reach them.

What would cause the auger motor to only run when wired direct? One of the snap disc bad?

The buzzing is coming from the exhaust fan trying to start. When I push the start button it causes a buzz. I can see the blades trying to turn. If I keep the button pushed it will continuously buzz LOUD. I have held it down and the blades eventually turn and the fan runs, pellets drop into burn pot. Sometimes the fan just quits after about 5 minutes stove goes out sometimes stays running. It has been running now for 30 minutes with no problem. It will happen again! Is this a problem with the fan or with something that controls the fan?

So likely not the control board. Do you have a spare combustion blower to try? Wondering if the bearings on the fan are going. Is it a blower that can be lubed? Have you vacuumed or blown out the windings? Cleaned the blades lately?

Have you checked the door/hopper/ash pan gaskets (as appropriate). Dollar bill test ... bill or similar paper closed in door. If it pulls out easily, you need to change the gaskets. Checked vac switch port to ensure it is clear and the tubing is not broken or cracked. I would try to jump the vac switch to determine if that is the problem. Remember to unplug the stove when working in the cabinet...

So likely not the control board. Do you have a spare combustion blower to try? Wondering if the bearings on the fan are going. Is it a blower that can be lubed? Have you vacuumed or blown out the windings? Cleaned the blades lately?

Have you checked the door/hopper/ash pan gaskets (as appropriate). Dollar bill test ... bill or similar paper closed in door. If it pulls out easily, you need to change the gaskets. Checked vac switch port to ensure it is clear and the tubing is not broken or cracked. I would try to jump the vac switch to determine if that is the problem. Remember to unplug the stove when working in the cabinet...

Going to see if my parts stove 1994 Lopi 400 ps has the same combustion fan and swap them out today... Yes I have done the dollar bill test.??? Would a bad dollar bill test make the combustion fan buzz and not want to start???? I did jump the vacuum switch - no change and tubing is clear and not damaged also the barbed tubes it connects to are clear.

Okay this is do-it-yourself pellet stove technician has determined the combustion blower motor bearings are going out Parts stove blower wouldn't fit.....New motor ordered.......bummer .....certainly glad I got an excellent excellent deal on the stove because when you start buying parts it's not so excellent. I have used it for 1 year but still no one likes o buy parts lol

Glad you got it figured out ... can the old blower be saved by replacing bearings? That way you have a back-up.

PS how test control board? Actually it doesn't have a control board unless you mean of course the user control box in this older Lopi firefox or the Switch box with the power and start switches?
Sorry never answered this but the rocker switches and potentiometers on the knobs do fail but likely a much easier repair than the newer control boards;)

Status
Not open for further replies.