Odd start up problem need help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RancherPacker

Jul 28, 2015
Washington State
1992 Austroflamm Integra manual start......starts up great on high or medium setting runs for about 5 mins then the auger stops feeding pellets but you can hear it humming/ trying to turn? and the red light is on only for a brief second. Walk over turn it off then on again and wa la the red indicator light then stays on longer and pellets feed fire burns great for a few more minutes then stops feeding pellets again red light on for only a brief second, turn off turn on all is well again for a few mins ...rinse repeat for about an hour then finally it will take off and go normally til next time you need to start it up.

I am new to pellets stoves but have researched and understand how they work and the need for a clean clean stove and maintenance. I bought this used in Summer so too hot to run it til now.. LOL maybe thats why they sold it in hot weather :( The stove was very clean and I additionally tore it down and cleaned everything fans motors air passage ways, exhaust and all new dura vent pipe out the wall short run , gaskets all good etc. I thought I was ahead of the game and ready for winter. They said Bear Mountain runs good in it so I bought a ton of BM. As soon as I needed heat I ran into this problem. To make sure it was not the pellets i burned out the hoppper of BM's and bought another brand "Pacific" same symptoms. Takes about an hour of turning off and on before it will run normally. Then no problem at all wonderful heat stove runs perfect til next time. What the heck is causing this? Anyone have any ideas? or ran into this before?

• Stove have a vacuum switch? Check the tube and its port. Bad low limit switch?

If those things were wrong would it eventually run correctly? Or would it never run right? It never fails to eventually start up and run properly just takes an hour.

Low limit switch not warming up to close, usually about 130
Metal expands and can help seal any leaks or the draft increases in the venting and helping close the vacuum switch. Vacuum switches don't often fail but the lines can crack or get plugged. Most stoves have to have a vacuum to start. Have you done the dollar bill test on the door gaskets?
Both switches can usually be easy to jump around to test

DO you have a copy of the manual?

EDIT I re-read your post and you did say it does start up and convection fan comes on? Does your glass have flat gaskets? Gaskets should be on the sides and bottom of glass, but not at top as this is part of your air wash system.

Last edited:
The door glass does have flat gasket and it does have it on the top? Should I take it off the top? It came that way when I bought it used this Summer. Yes all fans come on and turn off when supposed to.

Attachments

• stove door.jpg
    stove door.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 76
I do not have a gasket on the glass at the top. When they are removed the will be a gap between the glass and door this is normal as this is your air wash system.

In your pic the door gaskets look good at the top and bottom but I think the gasket on the outside edges should be more to the outside edges. The gasket should seal against the thin metal portion that door hinges are attached t, same on the other side. where door lock is.. After you do that you need to adjust door so it closes properly

Also it looks like your missing flame diverter located at the bottom of middle glass, do you see 2 hole there?? I am not sure how critical that may be

Last edited:
I timed the auger shut down today it is exactly 3 minutes then I have to turn stove off and turn back on to get another 3 minutes. Do this enough times and the stove will eventually go without the auger shut down ( about and hour) I havent had time to check much on it I am having back surgery in 6 days have to get the farm ready for Winter and others to take care of things for me. I might just have to rely on the $ hog gas stove again this year as I wont be able to trouble shoot or repair ANYTHING in 6 days

Status
Not open for further replies.