Oil Boiler Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lostDuck

Oct 21, 2013
Windsor, CT
So with the cost of oil being so cheap this year I need to fix up the oil boiler. While it works there looks to be a lot of corrosion on the expansion tank. Anyone know of a good site to learn about how to repair oil boiler or am i better of getting someone in to work on it?

Thanks for the input!

If you have the old style tank with no bladder, it would be a good idea to replace it with a bladder style tank. Not that expensive. If you don't clean and adjust the boiler yourself, it would be wise to have a pro maintain it, and replace the tank at the same time. That would save you some labor cost, theoretically.

If you can replace the steel tank with an equivalent or larger steel tank and new amtrol valve
for the tank that will save you the issues of plumbing in an air scoop larger diameter piping
and adding more fittings.

Be sure to get the sight glass and altitude guage to mount in the steel tank along with the
Amtrol valve also to be sure about how much water you need to add. Adding the Amtrol
automatic fill valve would be a goof thing to do as well to upgrade the tank and piping.

Adding a Spirovent to replace the low cost automatic bleeders gets rid of all the air with out
the need for multiple automatic air vents and bleeding elbows that end up leaking anyway.
I have gotten so fed up with the ones I have I plumbed in ball valves to change them when
they go bad and when I change over to the coal stoker they are going into the steel scrap
bin and on to that smelter in the sky.

OH and by the way and if you lose your water pressure with a bladder tank system you have to have a
jet pump available to pump water out of a 5 gallon bucket into the boiler draincock rather
than just adding water back into the steel tank using a ball valve and pipe plug to fill it if
you have a tank that can be filled manually-I am getting rid of my bladder tank and
air scoop after having to deal with trapped air issues after 33 years that would take forever to go away.

If I had known better 33 years ago I would have never let them remove my steel tank and amtrol valve!!!!

You should also be sure your circulating pump or pumps are pumping away from the
boiler rather than to the boiler to better rid it of trapped air as long as you are replacing the steel tank.

After you change out the steel tank you should be sure to have a backflow preventer installed
if you do not already have one and purchase some boiler treatment for you system.
Having the boiler water tested annually is a good idea as you want he PH to be between 7 and 9.

With the spirovents plumbed on the pumping away circuit they get rid of all the air and you do not
have to bleed the fin tube radiators by hand.

Not trying to spend your money, I just want you to succeed, lived with other peoples screw ups
and trying to help others to prevent them from being screwed like I was.

Status
Not open for further replies.