Oil Consumption Oct 11 thru Mar 12

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldhippie

Minister of Fire
Dec 18, 2011
Oil man came today and filled my 275 gallon oil tank. The little fuel meter looked like maybe still 2/3s full.

I've got a 36X28 foot Cape style home here in North Central Ma, that has decent insulation, but was built in 79 and not the materials they have today.

Forced hot water with oil, I turned on sometimes in the AM while getting the stove up to temp in the morning.

So he filled the tank and gave me the slip.

81 Gallons.

That and about 2 cord did the trick this year so far. It's not over yet,.. but we've had wild warm weather this week in northern Mass.

Oil man came today and filled my 275 gallon oil tank. The little fuel meter looked like maybe still 2/3s full.

I've got a 36X28 foot Cape style home here in North Central Ma, that has decent insulation, but was built in 79 and not the materials they have today.

Forced hot water with oil, I turned on sometimes in the AM while getting the stove up to temp in the morning.

81 Gallons.

That and about 2 cord did the trick this year so far. It's not over yet,.. but we've had wild warm weather this week in northern Mass.

Not bad... I'm filling my 275 gallon tank from the farm tank, 5 gallons at a time, so it's kind of slow going. We barely burned any oil for heat (3 days when we were away), the rest was for domestic HW... and that will be going away when I get the new electric box in.

It was mild enough of a winter that we only lost 1 hive of bees (we usually see 50% or higher loss). I'll take that!

Anyone that normally runs out of fuel-assistance fuel by December and has to go without other things to stay relatively warm are probably real happy this has been a warm Winter.

81 Gallons.

I love when the oil main comes and can only fit in 80 gallons, I had two fill ups this year, one was about 80 gal and the other about 90 gals. A lot better than the 200 gallons they used to put in at least 3 times through the winter.
Dont close the stove down yet, I have a feeling we're going to need to burn again this year.

This was our first winter burning and I'm pretty happy with the results. We have an electric water tank and only used about 20 gallons of oil to heat the house.
We are thinking of replacing the old Garrison with a newer, used woodstove but the smokedragon performed pretty well and it is small. Oh, used a little over 2.5 cords of not quite well seasoned Silver Maple and Oak. All free.

Not bad... I'm filling my 275 gallon tank from the farm tank, 5 gallons at a time, so it's kind of slow going. We barely burned any oil for heat (3 days when we were away), the rest was for domestic HW... and that will be going away when I get the new electric box in.

It was mild enough of a winter that we only lost 1 hive of bees (we usually see 50% or higher loss). I'll take that!

Diesel? I haven't bought furnace oil in years...plan on topping mine up 5 gallons at a time this year too. Regulations are getting so sticky up here that the delivery companies won't come unless you can provide proof of an inspection...more money again!

I love when the oil main comes and can only fit in 80 gallons, I had two fill ups this year, one was about 80 gal and the other about 90 gals. A lot better than the 200 gallons they used to put in at least 3 times through the winter.
Dont close the stove down yet, I have a feeling we're going to need to burn again this year.

Yep, winter is quite giving up the ghost yet.. we could even get a nasty dump of snow.. you never know. But it was 80'F today. :)

This was our first winter burning and I'm pretty happy with the results. We have an electric water tank and only used about 20 gallons of oil to heat the house.
We are thinking of replacing the old Garrison with a newer, used woodstove but the smokedragon performed pretty well and it is small. Oh, used a little over 2.5 cords of not quite well seasoned Silver Maple and Oak. All free.

Cool, my Garrison got some (in the living room) got new semi-gloss paint this year and I'll prolly still be burning with it till I die. I got it when I built the house in 79. But my primary heater this year was a used Resolute Acclaim I picked up used for $200. The Garrison is the big one and only got used on the coldest days.

Status
Not open for further replies.