Oil for Pellet Stove Motors

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the best oil to use on pellet stove motors? It seems reasonable that pellet stove motors need to be lubricated periodically. In my experience with pellet stove motors I have come up with another question; should you oil a pellet stove motor? Therefore I propose that it is not a matter of what oil is best but if oiling is best.

As an online retailer of Pellet Stove Parts I sell thousands of motors every year. I advertise my cell phone number for Pellet Stove Help (530-409-5051) as a Free service available 24/7. As a result I get to talk to a lot of customers about their Pellet Stoves.

When a customer calls me about replacing a motor I very frequently get one of two comments;

1. I oiled this motor several times a year and it failed in a couple of years. It’s junk.

2. This motor lasted for more than 10 years and I never oiled it once.

Which leads me back to my question; “To oil or not to oil?”

I have a theory on why oiling a pellet stove motor may cause it to fail early and it may not be the only one. My theory is that when a motor gets oiled the oil ends up in places other than where it needs to be.

Nothing sticks to oil better than dust and the more time passes the more dust collects on the oil. If the oil and dust are on a friction point in the motor, such as the coil that can create extra strain on the motor that could cause it to fail early.

I’m open to other possibilities as to why oil could cause a motor to fail faster than normal and this seems to be a reasonable explanation.

Based on how many times I have had people tell me that they oiled their motor and it failed sooner than expected and the others who have told me they never oil and the motor last a long time my opinion is that pellet stove motors will last longer if they are not oiled.

What do you guys think? What's your experience with this? Any other ideas on it?

By Jason Munson

Pellet Stove Pro

This article is poste on my blog w/ several other helpful articles at www.pelletstovepro.com

why are you continuing to spam this forum when the site owner has asked you to cease ? it's blatantly obvious what your intentions are . we're not stupid .

we have several professionals in the stove biz here and they don't do it . that's not what this forum is about . please stop .

No, this is a promotion post. Please read our basic terms:
https://www.hearth.com/talk/wiki/forum-rules-for-commercial-members/

Especially:
"If one of your primary reasons for being on the Forums is to get more business for your company, then we would ask that you contact us for paid advertising sponsorship programs as opposed to using and abusing the Forums and membership to push your product or service. This is effectively covered under the First Rule, but repeated just in case you didn't understand the first time"

Basically, just about all of your posts are not allowed here.

Copying posts from your promotional blog is not allowed here. Giving your phone number and soliciting business is not allowed here.

Members who have earned the right - by personally helping others for months and years here - get some flexibility, but still they are not allowed to openly solicit business or repost articles.

I understand that some sites may allow this. We don't. We run a very tight ship because if one person does it, so can everyone.

So, basically, I would ask you to carefully read those terms again at the link above and abide by them.

thanks!

So where are all the guys last week that were hazing me about spamming and mentioning Jason by name....I told you guys.

Jason and others...if the motor is servicable, then it will require oil. Motors with brass sleeve bushings should not be oiled
I just said you do similar things from time to time....even after I suggested you did in your rebuttle you mentioned that you source parts if contacted lol....I don't even care...that's the webbies job to decide where the line is...I am just saying you along with a few others are guilty of the same thing...no need for you to point it out....seems hypocritical

Of course Mr. Munson is blatantly advertising and your are usually more subtle

I just said you do similar things from time to time....even after I suggested you did in your rebuttle you mentioned that you source parts if contacted lol....I don't even care...that's the webbies job to decide where the line is...I am just saying you along with a few others are guilty of the same thing...no need for you to point it out....seems hypocritical

Of course Mr. Munson is blatantly advertising and your are usually more subtle

sorry but i must interject . major difference here . while Scott may run a commercial enterprize , he's a very valued member of our lil community here and even though i've never met the guy I consider him a friend that i'd gladly share a beer with ( sorry but i just had to get beer into this thread ) .

one of my first posts here was when i was installing my new/first stove and having a problem with hooking up my mag gauge . 5 mins later Scott posts telling me what i was doing wrong . voila !

no ulterior motive , just helping someone and that's just how he is . there are a few people here who's posts i'll click on just because of the posters name and Scotts is at the top of the list .

sorry but i don't find his complaints in this matter hypocritical at all .

my opinion

sorry but i must interject . major difference here . while Scott may run a commercial enterprize , he's a very valued member of our lil community here and even though i've never met the guy I consider him a friend that i'd gladly share a beer with ( sorry but i just had to get beer into this thread ) .

one of my first posts here was when i was installing my new/first stove and having a problem with hooking up my mag gauge . 5 mins later Scott posts telling me what i was doing wrong . voila !

no ulterior motive , just helping someone and that's just how he is . there are a few people here who's posts i'll click on just because of the posters name and Scotts is at the top of the list .

my opinion

I like Scotts posts..he is very informative, I mentioned this in the other post ....he also advertises his services, his contact info, and by showing off his knowledge in this forum he is advertising ....every time he helps out a member he is advertiaing....i am 100%ok with that....if he had no motive besides helping other members than the information in his sig would look more like mine...that is all

my opinion
Who do I send that check to?

I like Scotts posts..he is very informative, I mentioned this in the other post ....he also advertises his services, his contact info, and by showing off his knowledge in this forum he is advertising ....every time he helps out a member he is advertiaing....i am 100%ok with that....if he had no motive besides helping other members than the information in his sig would look more like mine...that is all
;)

Reactions: IHATEPROPANE
It's a matter of respect. If you are a professional and you want to volunteer your time and help others on your own dime (time is money after all) then that is perfect and you will gain respect doing so. If you just want to throw your name into the mix because you see this is a respected site with tons of visitors and you want to snag some for yourself, that is disrespectful and will get a lot of people mad at you, especially the ones who have put their time into helping others.

I lurked here for a year and a half before I made my account and after I made it, I checked with Webbie to make sure my sig line didn't go over the line. He was willing to let it slide but let me know he thought I might be stepping over the line a little so I took a couple things off out of respect for him, his website and the other people here. I may never post enough to get an ok for putting our company name and website in my signature line but that is just fine as long as I maintain respect for the others here they should respect me.

Reactions: stoveguy2esw
off topic (well, back on the topic) some motors are "oilable" others have sealed bearings and should not require oiling. a quick look on the motor casing should help discern if you have a motor which can be lubed (and should virtually always with a 20 wt light machine oil) or in the absence of said "lube order" the component will have sealed bearings and thus not require lubrication.

its really as simple as that.

NOW as for the conducting of business in the forum i (as a member of the industry especially) do not "sell" in this forum.i dont "promote" my product line in here though i do try to help (not only my customers but others as well) its a "respect" thing. now putting your "link" in your sig line with your company name is one thing, but "advertizing" is different, check web's site map for advertizing rates and such if ya want to run ad's. i mean how would you feel if web decided to walk in your shop and start plastering posters for his site on your walls?

ive found that if you "participate" you will get a far better reputation in here than just blasting posts with your "help line" in the forums. my own company's reputation in here is proof of that

My question to Webbie and the mods is, if the OP is doing something wrong with the content of his posts, and hasn't gone through the "proper channels" with Webbie, why is the thread still active and not closed or deleted?

Amen Mike and Sean... People here have enough info at there fingertips (Search). If they cant find it, then ask in a thread. Some of the techs, Manufacturer reps, Hearth shop owners, or the average guy who lives, thinks, and breathes pellet stoves will help.

Trolling isn't good for your rep (overall), seeing how this is the Largest Hearth related Forum. That means that most of your customers will come here and read this. ... Not good.

Sit down. Have a beer. Chat with us. Tell us something you actually did or had a problem with. Don't just troll for dumb customers. . :(

My question to Webbie and the mods is, if the OP is doing something wrong with the content of his posts, and hasn't gone through the "proper channels" with Webbie, why is the thread still active and not closed or deleted?

actually the "topic' is valid, the "shameless plug" IMHO was not kool.

which is why i "split" my post

Status
Not open for further replies.