Oil Monster or Pellet Stove During Power Outage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe I'm wrong but I'd tend to agree with dwizum. If your control board is DC than it is up to the rectifier inside of the DC converter inside of your unit to take the sine wave and create direct current. If a modified sine wave doesn't allow this to happen properly I would be a little concerned about the DC supply inside of the stove being super cheapo. Granted if the sine wave on the AC from your generator is ridiculously bad you'd probably have some interesting issues, not the least of which would blowing a fuse inside of the dc supply or relay chatter (though solid state relays don't chatter audibly to let you know of the inherent problem you'd see flashing lights and errors galore). The motors would be my concern as they are running off of the ac and may have some "chatter" or other issues similar to single phasing. It's my OPINION that the dc boards in the unit are not going to catch on fire and go running through the house throwing molten lead on everybody in the vicinity just because of a modified sine wave. As with any opinion I could be wrong and I'm a service engineer not an electrical engineer so please don't take my word for it. I just have the day off and nothing better to do than give you all my opinion. Anybody have some hard evidence of the known issues with a modified sine wave on a newer stove? I'm curious enough to ask but not curious enough to find an extension cord right now.

.....well,... when the lights go out & the beer goes warm & the house gets cold,.... you know dang well I'll be trying it out!,..... let you know.

Reactions: MacP and mralias
IMO and as I`ve said before if you`re gonna run a generator you might as well use it to run the central heating system. It will warm the house quicker , more evenly, and easier to cycle on/off every so many hrs.
And if you do have a generator worth it`s salt hopefully you had the good sense to have it connected properly / safely to your house panel which would allow you to take advantage of it`s capabilities to power some lights and refrigerator.

Reactions: SmokeyTheBear
IMO and as I`ve said before if you`re gonna run a generator you might as well use it to run the central heating system. It will warm the house quicker , more evenly, and easier to cycle on/off every so many hrs.
And if you do have a generator worth it`s salt hopefully you had the good sense to have it connected properly / safely to your house panel which would allow you to take advantage of it`s capabilities to power some lights and refrigerator.

Yep...That's how mine is rigged. I have run both the pellet stove and oil monster off the generator during a power outage so I know both will work. I guess it comes down too which do I prefer to damage with the generator if in fact damage is being caused. I sort of like the oil monster idea based on what you said Master Chief about heating the entire house fast and then shutting it down. I fear that the "unclean" power being supplied to the pellet stove would be enough to cause damage to the control module over time.

Lot's of good thoughts on this from everyone. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.