Oil vs Pellets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris04626

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Whos burning pellets this year? LAst year i burned oil as it was cheaper. Pellet Prices here are 259 and up again this year. The year before i was getting them at 199-209

Who's burning pellets this year?

me_me_me.jpg

My oil furnace is running right now. I think I'll be burning less pellets during the shoulder season, just because it's easier for me.

Around here the only people I know who are still burning pellets have propain heat otherwise

Burning pellets and oil. I like having options. Since I bought my stove three years ago pellet prices have been consistent in my area for premium brands. I know there were many home depots and lowes selling off their surplus at 199 and lower at the end of last season. If oil were to go back up to four dollars per gallon I would be burning pellets exclusively. Since I have factored in the cost of pellets every year already being able to burn both with oil prices low is a bonus.

Around here the only people I know who are still burning pellets have propain heat otherwise
Around here, the only people I know still burning pellets are
Those with propane
Those with electric
Those with only pellet stoves
And those that just like burning pellets..
I use a little NG.. but mostly pellets..

Reactions: JRA
I have an oil furnace, a wood stove and a pellet stove, which one I use depends on my mood.

Reactions: Pete Zahria
Propain an month ago was 79 cents a gallon, had to fill early this week and got it in the shorts for $1.19. A lot of corn being dried. Probably close to record crop.
Stock market really took a spin after Amazon not getting what people thought they should and continued squabbling of OPEC. FBI reopening emails too.
Will burn as much corn as I can.

I'm burning both. But the oil we are using right now is to heat the attached apartment. Oil here is running around 2 bucks a gallon, in this house that's about even with pellets right now, with pellets getting the edge actually. Last year at this time of year I had the blown out knee and just ran oil during the shoulder season. Then in the colder weather ( what we had for cold last year) I combined oil and pellets by running the stove in a low stove temp mode and let the oil kick in a couple times a day to give it a boost. That was economical enough. Oil is looking higher this winter though, around these parts anyway.

I'm burning both. But the oil we are using right now is to heat the attached apartment. Oil here is running around 2 bucks a gallon, in this house that's about even with pellets right now, with pellets getting the edge actually. Last year at this time of year I had the blown out knee and just ran oil during the shoulder season. Then in the colder weather ( what we had for cold last year) I combined oil and pellets by running the stove in a low stove temp mode and let the oil kick in a couple times a day to give it a boost. That was economical enough. Oil is looking higher this winter though, around these parts anyway.
Where are you getting pellets right now, I'm north shore mass, and oil is 1.94/gallon and pellets around 259/ton. Just trying to figure the cost

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Where are you getting pellets right now, I'm north shore mass, and oil is 1.94/gallon and pellets around 259/ton. Just trying to figure the cost

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Same price on the pellets here, our oil is a little higher. This time of year it doesn't matter a whole lot either way at these prices, but in this house in mid winter cold weather I can regulate my heating cost better with the pellets on a steady burn rate and let the oil kick in a few times in 24 hours. Or use the stove in room temp by itself sometimes, depends on wind direction and specific temps. Anyone with a newer , modern construction, well insulated house shouldn't try to understand the heating requirements of those of us with the other kind of house LOL! We have been in this house for more than 40 years, over those years we tighten it up more and more but it will never heat like a modern home does.

Last edited:
Propain an month ago was 79 cents a gallon,
had to fill early this week and got it in the shorts for $1.19.
That'd be a bargain here.....
Average in the state last week.... $2.94 gal. (vs. $248 for Platinums)
Nearly half the cost.
You could even burn Doug Firs ($349), and save a bunch.....
Oil ($2.06) and pellets, about a tie.

Dan

Straight pellets for me cause we enjoy pellets more than oil. We use enough oil for hot water in my house.

I use electricity for hot water, it's about 11 cents per KW/hr. Gotta love hydroelectric dams.

Around here Central Hudson now charges 8 cents a KW just for delivery charge of the electric. Add on another 9 cents a KW for generating the electricity + taxes. Total 17 cents a KW. You don't see Google putting their server farm in upstate NY State any time soon. :mad:

Back to OP. Oil $1.89 vs quality pellets $309 delivered woodpellets.com is about equal in price. Currently burning oil in shoulder season. Will kick in the pellet stove when it gets colder for that nice cozy warmth 73 feeling in the living room that will keep the bedrooms in the mid 60s which we like. I will be turning the pellet stove off around 10:30 pm and back on in the morning 7:00am. Set oil thermostat to 64 at night.

My local Ace is selling Dry Creeks for 259. He's getting in Cubex and they'll also be selling for 259.

Central Hudson now charges 8 cents a KW just for delivery charge of the electric.
Add on another 9 cents a KW for generating the electricity + taxes. Total 17 cents a KW.

Yeah... too often people use the KWH cost, and do not factor the other charges...
All of those tacked on to ours comes to around 19.5¢ kwh....
These are the charges listed on our bill (not all apply... but many do):

Customer Charge
Distribution Charge
Transmission Charge
Demand Charge
Late Payment Charge
Stranded Recovery Charge
System Benefits Charge
Consumption tax
Supplier Serviced/Energy Charge
Service Charge/Reconnect
;sick

Dan

Reactions: Jack Morrissey
Back to OP. Oil $1.89 vs quality pellets $309 delivered woodpellets.com is about equal in price.

Curious what calculator you're using to arrive at that conclusion. According to the Travis Industries calculator price per million btu's of oil $18.16 and pellets is $27.50. The sticker on the side of my furnace says 82% efficient. I'm not sure what my Harman is but I don't think it's much more than that.

Curious what calculator you're using to arrive at that conclusion. According to the Travis Industries calculator price per million btu's of oil $18.16 and pellets is $27.50. The sticker on the side of my furnace says 82% efficient. I'm not sure what my Harman is but I don't think it's much more than that.

Yes BTU wise oil vs pellets are not equal and oil is cheaper. When running the wood pellet stove i am not heating my entire house. Some bedrooms are closed off. When I run my central heat fuel oil boiler, I have to heat the entire house. I don't have a calculator for that;). I can tell you this much. I really like that 73-74 temp in the living room while reading, watching TV, and when I come inside after shoveling snow or skiing all day. Even if I pay an extra $300 a year for that pellet warmth feeling that is okay with me. My pellet stove is 8 years old and more than paid for itself back when oil was a lot more expensive and pellets were $190 a ton.

Reactions: cecil_archer
Status
Not open for further replies.