Ok class quiet down. Part 4 in the Breckwell cleaning series with pictures

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kinsmanstoves

Minister of Fire
Today's lesson is brought to us by the great state of Maine and it's Deerslayers.

Breckwell doors and the airwash system.

The glass on your breckwell door only has a gasket on three sides leaving the bottom open. The stove runs on negetive pressure so it draws some air into the firebox through the slot left by no gasket on the door. This runs air over the glass and should keep it clean. When the gap (airwash) gets clogged the air is kept from flowing over the glass in the area of the clogg and it gets dirty. You will also notice at the sides and top of the glass will discolor faster than any other part because it is least effected by the airwash.

This airwash also can cause a problem if the power goes out and the stove was running. The pellets will start to smolder and make smoke. The smoke will follow the path of least resistance and if not drown out through the vertical rise in the vent system it will escape through the airwash, hopper, and any other point on the stove that is not 100% sealed.

Eric

Attachments

• SANY0269.JPG
    SANY0269.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 942
  • SANY0270.JPG
    SANY0270.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 945
lafalot1965 said:
I have a Breckwell P4000. Do they all have the system you are referring too?

Yes the pic is of a Big E.

Eric

(Raises hand)...
Teacher, can you do a class on Duravent pellet vent piping?

Pellet vs. Corn, old vs. new, compatibilities, differences, etc.?

My future vertical vent system could benefit from a little knowledge in this area.

;)

And where the hell is Part 3??

Since you seem to be aiming these towards the Big E.........I'M LOVING IT!!

Must have been eating turkey and missed part 3..........SOMEBODY should notify us when he's posting these lessons, particularly since he includes tests....Elle says muttering to herself as she now goes to look up Part 3 before Eric says she must sacrifice a cat............

wilbilt said:
(Raises hand)...
Teacher, can you do a class on Duravent pellet vent piping?

Pellet vs. Corn, old vs. new, compatibilities, differences, etc.?

My future vertical vent system could benefit from a little knowledge in this area.

;)

I will see what I can do on the Dura Vent, corn vs. pellets, and vertical venting (I would do it all in 4" diameter, size matters).

Eric

Thank you very much for this post !

My Breckwell P2000 that I purchased used, has always suffered from dirty glass. I noticed a lot of ash getting in between the air wash plate and the glass.

Upon taking off the air wash plate (2 nuts), low and behold there was extra rope gasket along the bottom of the glass, between the glass and the air wash plate.

I removed it, re fired the stove and right away could see the difference with the embers being blow away from the glass.

Thanks again.

This is ironic, I was just noticing that my glass was starting to get dirtier fast and that the stalagmites seemed to be coming from where there was ash at the bottom of the door.
I took a piece of shim stock and ran it between the bar and the glass, helped a little but still getting dirty, my question is I noticed that the bar has slotted mounting holes, do you think it would help to raise that bar up further to allow more air, or shim behind the bar to allow more air?
Thx

fire76 said:
This is ironic, I was just noticing that my glass was starting to get dirtier fast and that the stalagmites seemed to be coming from where there was ash at the bottom of the door.
I took a piece of shim stock and ran it between the bar and the glass, helped a little but still getting dirty, my question is I noticed that the bar has slotted mounting holes, do you think it would help to raise that bar up further to allow more air, or shim behind the bar to allow more air?
Thx

On certain Breckwells I have put that draft cover in a vise and bent it back some. It helped. I also used thicker washers and put them between the glass and the door.

Eric

Bump up due to lack of cleaning

What the hey? I didn't have to do all of this crap with my heat pump? :coolsmirk:

BrotherBart said:
What the hey? I didn't have to do all of this crap with my heat pump? :coolsmirk:

Well them just sit down and write the check to the Electric company.

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.