okay Guys need install advise for whirlpool tub bought about 20 yrs ao. New

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jeanw

Feeling the Heat
Sep 23, 2008
ky
what paperwork we have says use Mortar " under tub. then a plastic sheeting then set tub let dry or set up. new tub install... here.
videos ike you tubes. and DIY item say USE "thin set mortar" some say Plaster of Paris Some DIY advise say Seal the floor first with s good " floor sealer" 2 coats....Don't want problems later. right now just 3 /4 plywood floor in bathroom Plywood on the wall.
old sticker on tub from "American Bath says bunch of model numbers. But our sticker HAS NO Model number checked off. Sticker also reads "fiberglass/acrylic" with no model number checked off. or the check mark have faded. Found the original receipt bought back on clearance in yr 1996. but receipt has no model number. YUK>>>>
The toll free phone number I have penciled in on the xeroxed looking instructions is. 18005623422, now that phone number is one of those "marketing junk numbers
PS. oh how cn I tell if its acrylic or fiberglass????
what say YALaL ????? HELP YALL PLEASE......

Iv just used spray foam for setting tubs much lighter and insulates the tub a bit so it stays warmer. 20 years ago they did not have spray foam that was worth a crap..

Iv just used spray foam for setting tubs much lighter and insulates the tub a bit so it stays warmer. 20 years ago they did not have spray foam that was worth a crap..
Thanks but what about the plywood floor underneath? should we seal it? and what brand of foam the kind sold in regular hdwe depts. ?
Please elaborate y'all. May wanna take it out and try something else if dent work out before the floor material goes down. That too is prob sitting out in the garage If we go with "tile".
Read about the benefits of soaking in EPS salt etc or magnesium chlorides.occ.

Also, it doesn't have a heater and can't ask who after 20 year old new WHIRLPOOL tub.

Anyone ever did so successfully and was it worth it.? Be nice to use the outside black hose. LOL Cause in this hot weather the water inside it is so hot
I seen you tubers heat water that way. Unfortunately Hubby got rid of the older Lifetime water heater .Just cause the "overflow was leaking". The store or mfg gave us a new water heater. I wanted to save the old one for a storage tank. But Hubby said too much stuff.
TIA guys

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, it doesn't have a heater and can't ask who after 20 year old new WHIRLPOOL tub.

Anyone ever did so successfully and was it worth it.? Be nice to use the outside black hose. LOL Cause in this hot weather the water inside it is so hot
I seen you tubers heat water that way. Unfortunately Hubby got rid of the older Lifetime water heater .Just cause the "overflow was leaking". The store or mfg gave us a new water heater. I wanted to save the old one for a storage tank. But Hubby said too much stuff.
TIA guys
Update tub sitting there but tech. too big for bathroom cause its hard to get to window. But at least got finally face frames and doors on the one bathroom stud wall. In other words using the 6 inch stud cavities ( since its a pig. wall fir storage.. looks pretty good so far.
Hubby wants to use a ss tub I bought prob 8 yr ago from CL in place of the acrylic 7 ft long tub... at least the 9 FORMER athletic dept )prob hydro tub is deep
BE NICE TO HOPEFULLY SOON put in a finished floor. Im leaning toward Crossville marble looking porcelain floor tile

Woops i missed the reply's to this post... I would not put any type of vapor barrier over the floor as if something leaks it will be trapped. I would just seal and paint under the tub. If i remember correctly when setting those older tubs the instructions said to fill the tub part way with water until mortar sets up. I hated my old tub that i set up on motar as it always squeaked..

Honestly you would be better off just going out and buying a new acrylic tub they are all self supporting now no need for the base.

You seem to like buying things and letting them sit...LOL

Woops i missed the reply's to this post... I would not put any type of vapor barrier over the floor as if something leaks it will be trapped. I would just seal and paint under the tub. If i remember correctly when setting those older tubs the instructions said to fill the tub part way with water until mortar sets up. I hated my old tub that i set up on motar as it always squeaked..

Honestly you would be better off just going out and buying a new acrylic tub they are all self supporting now no need for the base.

You seem to like buying things and letting them sit...LOL
No I don't like buying stuff and letting sit.. This was tech a weekend home till last few yrs... everything takes time esp when you are DIYers... if one thing works then something else breaks.
plus cutting up your own firewood takes lots of time etc. over things to repair comes up.... lots of rain lately gotta keep eye on nearby trees hoping one doesn't fall on house etc. one fell over a year ago right in front our neighbors garage door. only short distance from us.. it was large one too...
I did prime the plywood under the tub so far. I sat in it while ago. It comfortable but I dislike having to put mortar or such under it.. Its prob an acrylic unit...
Ive read lots of downsides of whirlpools tub. Hubby said no mortar etc was needed if put in cast iron instead....Course Im the one who brought that up.......how can it be self supporting an acrylic tub? unless its like a freestanding unit like a clwffot or a soaking slipper type?
thanks y'all

A self supporting acrylic tub will rest right on the floor or will have blocks molded in as feet to support the tub they are also slightly thicker. If your tub is instructing you to support it with mortor or such then if you don't the tub will crack over time and you will have a huge mess on your hands they are also a thinner tub and cannot hold the weight without the support.