Old coal stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

stoveliker

Minister of Fire
Nov 17, 2019
Long Island NY
Just for no particular reason. Saw this old coal stove in a 150 year old farm today (in the Netherlands near the German border).

Seems French. Rather large diameter for the small (5"?) stove pipe. We had the same coal bin thing (don't know the English word) on the right when I was a kid.

IMG_20220727_120820830.jpg IMG_20220727_120812826.jpg

Reactions: begreen
And they had a key damper in the pipe.

Still in use today? I would be getting concerned about the rusting jacket. The pail is called a coal scuttle or coal hod.

It is still in use yes. I knocked it with a metal part, and the wall thickness is not variable (maybe uniformly thinned, but that's not likely for corrosion thinning).

I asked what they do when they burn. Turns out it's a 5 ft clearance around the stove. The pipe goes thru the brick wall. The outside chimney was modern.

Pail, scuttle, hod. Three new words learned. Thank you!