Old ef3 insert issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Oldef3insert

Dec 20, 2018
Nova Scotia
Installed an old enviro ef3 dial a fire insert this past fall(non circuitboard). Has worked great until tonight. Pulled it out for some cleaning/lube, and when I slid it back in it won't feed pellets. When you push the start button everything works (green light comes on for a second, fans/igniter work till they time out.) but the pellet feed appears dead. No matter where you put the dial a fire knob nothing happens.... not blinking light, not auger. The knob felt a little funny when I turned it too. Anyone have this issue? How do I test the dial control? Could you use a different rheostat to get by with if till a factory one comes if that was it? Thanks

I used a common good quality household light dimmer to replace the failed convection fan control in my EF2i which I believe has similar dial-a-fire to yours. IIRC the auger pot may not be so easy, as it connects to that blue timer module doesn't it? Might be able to carefully disassemble it and fix what might have broke inside, or at least leave it stationary but still functional in one position for time being.