Old European mopeds.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Brian26

Minister of Fire
Sep 20, 2013
Branford, CT
Who remembers these? I am in the process of restoring this 1981 Kreidler MP 19 moped that I had when I was younger. It was sitting in a shed at my moms house for the past 16 years. It took very little effort to get running and have been out cruising around town on it. Here in CT the moped laws from the late 70's are somehow still on the books. No insurance or registration on anything 50cc and under. Around here its mostly cheap Chinese 50cc scooters that compare nothing to the styling of the old European peds.

20160729_175630.jpg

I've noticed that they're incredibly expensive on Craigs List.

The hipsters in NYC and San Francisco are paying top dollar for them so people are asking crazy money for them. I got this one from the trash pile on the curb back in the late 90's for free.

I have had a few people offer me good money for mine on the spot when I have been out riding. Kreidlers are especially rare and not many were made. They were from Germany and were considered the BMW/Mercedes of mopeds back then and are highly desirable.

Just came back from 3 day trip to NYC, and l saw a lot of these what seems like electric add-on kits. Long rectangular box above the crank and different rear wheel. The distances are short, so I would opt for the bike were I an NYC hipster.

Living in The Netherlands I started on a Phoenix moped (automatic) and later on a Puch (3 gears). If you had a Puch or Tomos in the early 70's you were hip.

I remember my father tooling around on a Tomas moped . . . apparently it was built in the former country of Yugoslavia . . . which may make one think it would be a piece of junk, but it actually seemed to be built pretty well.

A few years back we had a moped retro gang in town, it was actually quite comical, it was literally 25 dudes, they would meet a the 2nd most popular bar (1st most popular bar was where the real bikers go) then take off an cause a huge slow traffic jam through town, I actually miss seeing them tool around.

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
I have great memories as a teenager of a summer, a moped... and a girl.

1980-Motobecane-Sebring-with-Morini-MO-2-engine-300x226.jpg

I have one like this (not as good shape though). Suddenly quit working last year. Haven't had time to troubleshoot. Good fuel, good spark, good compression. Timing seems on. I don't know what's wrong with it...

Reactions: Lloyd the redneck
As a motorcyclist, a moped is the hearth equivalent of heating your home with leaves. I enjoy passing mopeds smoking along barely moving on my 4 cylinder, fuel injected, perfectly balanced, 14,500 redline, Japanese engineering marvel. :)

All egotistical posturing aside..anything that gets you out of a cage is a good thing.

I much prefer modern dirt bikes and all 2 stroke equipment. But there's something about riding around town with that little 50cc on a expansion pipe with no silencer whistling away at 27mph. The looks you get from people make it even better

. . .

All egotistical posturing aside..anything that gets you out of a cage is a good thing.

Until a deer jumps out in front of you? ;)

Actually I'm a bit envious . . . the only thing my wife asked I not buy when we got married was a bike since she had too many friends who died on bikes. She's had no issues with me buying an ATV, snowmobile, etc. so I figure I can easily agree to not buy a bike . . . but man, oh man, I think how nice it would be in the summer on a bright, sunny day.

Until a deer jumps out in front of you? ;)

Actually I'm a bit envious . . . the only thing my wife asked I not buy when we got married was a bike since she had too many friends who died on bikes. She's had no issues with me buying an ATV, snowmobile, etc. so I figure I can easily agree to not buy a bike . . . but man, oh man, I think how nice it would be in the summer on a bright, sunny day.

I've had that happen..on a twisty, rainy dark night in the mountains. I actually swerved through a herd of deer.

My wifes first date with me was on a bike and I made it very clear that riding will always be a part of my life as we were dating. It has tapered greatly because of kids..but such is life. She loves it and doesn't want me to stop. She knows it means a great deal to me.

For me it is just like all things in life..calculated risk. Wear all the gear, ride safely, ride where others are not driving, ride when others are not driving, don't ride in a rush, don't ride distracted, and never drink a drop and ride. When you consider that 50% of fatalities are from riders drinking and crashing, you're at pretty good odds using basic common sense.

I had a colleague that died at 41 walking down the street in NYC, prepping for the next meeting. No health issues at all..poof aneurysm. I have also see a rider lowside..go flying into the woods and bounce off trees and come out without a scratch.

We all have that clock over our heads that only the good Lord has set. The only time when I feel like I'm turning mine back is when I'm exploring creation on 2 wheels. :)

Oh..one more thing...
One thing that makes kids absolutely giddy..is rolling up with your friends next to a car full of kids and waving at them and hooking the horns. Makes my heart happy.

Reactions: firefighterjake