OLD FARMHOUSE HEATING QUESTION

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimdeq

Hearth Supporter
Apr 23, 2010
northeastern wisconsin
Hi boyz, I need help with a remodel question. I am currently renovating a old farmhouse from 1940. The home has a boiler with baseboard heat with 3/4" copper fin ( I think thats what you call it). I want to run heat up to the second floor. There is 3 bedrooms upstairs that never had any heat to them. I have multiple walls gutted out and have 3/4 O2 barrier pex piped up there. I need some clarification on the exsisting system. Is radiant baesboard what I have or would it be considered panel rads? Is the current system 180 degree water or low temp? I dont understand the difference between the delivery of the two systems? Which will work the best for me? The pex comes up into one room and will convert to copper into a 8' baseboard ,then go out of that baseboard and through a inside wall into the second room and into another 8' baseboard. I think this is considered Series piping? Any help would be appreciated.

jimdeq said:
Hi boyz, I need help with a remodel question. I am currently renovating a old farmhouse from 1940. The home has a boiler with baseboard heat with 3/4" copper fin ( I think thats what you call it). I want to run heat up to the second floor. There is 3 bedrooms upstairs that never had any heat to them. I have multiple walls gutted out and have 3/4 O2 barrier pex piped up there. I need some clarification on the exsisting system. Is radiant baesboard what I have or would it be considered panel rads? Is the current system 180 degree water or low temp? I dont understand the difference between the delivery of the two systems? Which will work the best for me? The pex comes up into one room and will convert to copper into a 8' baseboard ,then go out of that baseboard and through a inside wall into the second room and into another 8' baseboard. I think this is considered Series piping? Any help would be appreciated.

You have base board. I would think it would be 180 degree system. What kind of boiler is it, oil ? Yes you have series piping.

why not develop a hot air delivery system, since you have everything ripped out, and put in a wood stove to heat the house?

-Soupy1957

jimdeq said:
This home will be a rental house and my insurance says no way to wood boilers in a rental. I think it is a Slant Fin boiler.

Who said anything about a wood boiler?

-Soupy1957

Status
Not open for further replies.