Old hand tools

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

schlot

Minister of Fire
Nov 21, 2011
Iowa
Wasn't sure where to put this picture. I am cleaning out my storage shed and came across some iron tools. I'm guessing they were used for for some type of work around fire or a kiln? They are made of iron, all are about 4' long.
20130421_100419.jpeg
Anyone know what they are or used for?

If someone needs to move this thread to a better place, please do so.

Thanks.

The one on the right looks like an ash rake. Hold above the floor, insert into slot, drop, drag toward you.

They look like antique local forged fireplace/hand tools
#2 and #3 may have had shovel / broom tack welded
#4 is just a poker
#5 rake also used to push clunkers back under the grate
at least that's what we used them for

dad had a #1 hanging in the barn = it slipped into a eye bolt crank or something and turned it - I can't remember what - just being told to put it back and stop touching everything

Reactions: n6crv and Fifelaker
Thanks!

Any value to these? Not just money wise but perhaps to a museum? I am cleaning house and don't see keeping them.

It would be tough to put a date on them unless you had some back story that you know for a fact- which limits resale value.
A local museum may be interested. You might "rake in" a few bucks from an antique picker- I could see a country style restaurant putting them on the wall.

If you lived closer, I could actually really use these for the kiln.

dad had a #1 hanging in the barn = it slipped into a eye bolt crank or something and turned it - I can't remember what - just being told to put it back and stop touching everything

Not unless it has a big jog in the handle, out of view in this photo. You're thinking of the old scissor jack crank handles, some of which did have a similar hook on one end.

When I was a kid, my little town still had the old fashion blacksmith shop. The old timer that worked it (and yes, he was very old) would make tools similar to those for darn near any application you could think of. I bet he had 20 different pairs of tongs. All different. I guess my point is this: darn hard to tell what the actual application was for. It could have been for a specific job, or even a one time use thing.

We have a set that looks pretty much exactly like them at my cabin. Those are the only tools that are capable to reach to the back of the timberline wood stove that is used there (like a fisher papa bear).

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.