Old Insert Identification Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Wendybird23

Dec 24, 2022
Virginia
My husband and I just purchased a home with this charming old insert. The previous owner used it regularly but does not know much about its history and I haven’t had much luck with google. Does anyone have any info on this particular model/brand? Thanks in advance!

5E2C09F7-2543-4060-A36A-2F2A82BBE566.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks like a 70s vintage heater, probably slammed in with no directly connected liner. Looks like it has been run too hot more than once.

Looks like a 70s vintage heater, probably slammed in with no directly connected liner. Looks like it has been run too hot more than once.

There is a liner actually! Just got it checked out last week.

What suggests overfire? And is it worth trying to restore?

The stove paint turns white when over fired.

As to it being worth restoring depends on what you want out of it. If you’re looking for an emergency heater, sure, it’ll work. If you’re looking to heat your house all winter long I’d look for something more efficient. And if you’re looking for aesthetics, glass doors are nice.

Is it a stainless steel liner directly connected to the stove? There's been a lot of folks been told they have a liner, which is true, but it's a terra Cotta liner and not directly connected to the stove.

Reactions: moresnow