Old Mill stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mangothelegend

Nov 9, 2022
Pa
Hello all.

Just bought our home and this is in the basement. Don't know much about wood stoves but I'm trying to learn.

Question is what is needed for the stove to be serviceable.
I know firebrick need to line the firebox.

The baffle in the first picture looks warped but seems fixed in place.

The parts in the second picture came out from the exhaust/back of the baffle - you can kinda see the one part in the second picture.

Any links or resources to help me learn would also be appreciated.

IMG_20221109_113113457.jpg IMG_20221109_165004508.jpg IMG_20221109_113049882.jpg

Hello all.

Just bought our home and this is in the basement. Don't know much about wood stoves but I'm trying to learn.

Question is what is needed for the stove to be serviceable.
I know firebrick need to line the firebox.

The baffle in the first picture looks warped but seems fixed in place.

The parts in the second picture came out from the exhaust/back of the baffle - you can kinda see the one part in the second picture.

Any links or resources to help me learn would also be appreciated.

View attachment 302504 View attachment 302505 View attachment 302506
No idea what that part is. Old mills are just basic steel boxes not much to them.

What type of chimney is it running through and what condition is it in

Masonry chimney through the center of the house. Has ceramic lining at the top of the chimney, haven't taken off/ checked out the clean out port yet to see the bottom.

Masonry chimney through the center of the house. Has ceramic lining at the top of the chimney, haven't taken off/ checked out the clean out port yet to see the bottom.
Did you have the chimney inspected by a pro with a camera as part of the real estate deal?

Did you have the chimney inspected by a pro with a camera as part of the real estate deal?
Unfortunately not. It was bank owned and we don't have any details about anything.

I did look into a stainless steel insert and I have a few calls to make tomorrow about the chimney. Wasn't sure if the stove was worth keeping since that's the biggest up front cost.

Unfortunately not. It was bank owned and we don't have any details about anything.

I did look into a stainless steel insert and I have a few calls to make tomorrow about the chimney. Wasn't sure if the stove was worth keeping since that's the biggest up front cost.
Oh the stove is not nessecarily the biggest upfront cost. Fixing the chimney can easily cost allot more than a new stove

Reactions: VintageGal