Old Reliant Pellet Stove - Auger Won't Stop!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brent Bain

Dec 22, 2012
Hello All...

I'm hoping someone out there might have some advice or things to check. We recently moved into a farm house that came with a Reliant Tempest pellet stove. The pellet stove appears to work ... for the most part.

However, when I turn the power on the auger immediately starts up and spits things out. In fact I can hear it pretty much constantly run. If I push the "feed" button, it sounds louder on a cycle, but the auger continues to spin.

I've pulled out the circuit board and checked welds -- unplugged and re-plugged all the wires...
We can run the unit but only if we sit in the room, watch the flames, and when they get too big, turn the unit off. I've tracked down a manual for a reliant tempest stove -- but it appears to be for a newer model then the one I have -- and doesn't go over anything that covers this type of situation.

I've pondered if it could be the heat sensors, but that seems backwards from the way they should work, correct?

Any other ideas out there of what to check??

In advance, many thanks!
Brent Bain

Hello

The most likely part to go bad on those stoves is the Thermocouple. The only place you can still buy them is Woodman's Parts Plus. I know the owner Jim and he is a real good guy. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.