Old stove door fix, new stove ponderings

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Max W

Feeling the Heat
Feb 4, 2021
Maine
The loading door on our almost ancient Waterford Stanley cookstove wouldn’t give a tight seal. The holes in the loading door hinges have worn quite a bit worn larger. The is no space is to drill them out for bushings. More importantly the door’s latch no longer drew it in tight. There is no adjustment left on the latch. Replacing the gasket hasn’t been enough. Yesterday I found a solution. Found a different version of a Waterford Stanley manual online. It suggested using “ thermal tape” under the gasket for tighter fit. I was surprised to find it a the local hardware, nothing more than gasket material in a flat form. Cemented both layers in and the door locks tight with room enough on left the latch to pull it in tighter

The stove has never been real tight since we bought it 20 years ago but this fix should help and slow my thinking about switching to a strictly heating stove. I had fallen in like with the idea of a Jotul f45 v2 Greenville with its moderate size, circulating and radiant heat with the cast sides and most importantly its close clearances. We now heat with a complementry combination of the Waterford and a six year old Fujitsu 15,000 btu mini split. We live on the very well insulated 900ft2 main floor of our 150 year old farm house, and close off the upstairs with a velcro tabbed, fitted quilt for the heating season. The Jotul brought the prospect longer burns, no wee hour loadings of the 1.2 cu ft. firebox and a cushion in very cold weather. The down sides may be more heat than we want at times and importantly giving up woodstove cooking.