old tarm

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

salmonfeeder

Aug 10, 2008
new brunswick canada
I see old tarm boilers on ebay from time to time. Are there any models to avoid, are they close to the performance of today's models? How long will these boilers last? low on budget some of these boilers seem to be in my price range. Any help would be appreciated.

I don't know much about Tarm specifically, but they have a reputation for making a solid boiler. They've made both gasification and conventional boilers over the years. With any used boiler, you want to make a physical inspection, since misuse can cause serious damage that might not be apparent in a photo.

If it was operated without input temperature protection, it may have significant corrosion especially in the bottom rear (or wherever the cold water enters). If it was used to burn a lot of green wood, you may have a real mess from condensing water and creosote. If it was ever boiled dry or operated for extended periods with the bypass damper open (for gasifiers), you may have heat damage - warped or cracked components. Finally, if it was kept in a wet location, you may have corrosion of external parts. Most of this is easy to see if you are physically there with a good flashlight.

Despite the potential problems, there are some real bargains out there. My brother heated his house for over 15 years with a boiler that he bought used, and he was running an open system without input temperature protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.