Old time stove co inc “old timer”

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

NorthEastSteve

Oct 27, 2020
PA
Can anyone tell me how old this thing is or where I could find a owners manual?

F5578C6C-BD84-4CB3-9F94-80A1B264D13D.jpeg

That is the first time I have ever seen a UL plate where you could reduce required clearances by grinding the plate off and calling it unlisted.... does it have a front mounted flamethrower attachment or something? ;lol

A quick Google says that the company is still around, so you could probably call them if nothing else.

That is the first time I have ever seen a UL plate where you could reduce required clearances by grinding the plate off and calling it unlisted.... does it have a front mounted flamethrower attachment or something? ;lol

A quick Google says that the company is still around, so you could probably call them if nothing else.

What do you mean grinding the plate off ?
I tried googling and it seems the company comes up as a financial type company

What do you mean grinding the plate off ?
I tried googling and it seems the company comes up as a financial type company

Unlisted stoves (stoves not tested by UL- really old ones, homemade ones, unidentified ones) have to be 36" from combustibles in all directions.

That stove's UL plate specifies 48" in front.... a foot more than the burn barrel in uncle Louie's pole barn.

Unlisted stoves (stoves not tested by UL- really old ones, homemade ones, unidentified ones) have to be 36" from combustibles in all directions.

That stove's UL plate specifies 48" in front.... a foot more than the burn barrel in uncle Louie's pole barn.
It's an insert, designed for masonry fireplace installation. Can you post a front view?

Notice that is Canadian Specs. Canada is 48 to combustible where US is 36, and Canada is 24 inches to single wall pipe where US is 18. Same as their clearance reduction is less.

An example of a US Listed clearance more than the unlisted 36 inches does exist! It is found in the Fisher Manual for Grandma and Grandpa Bear III, on page 8 and 9. UL testing required 42 inches side clearance to sidewall, 39 1/2 in corner installations to stove corners, and 39 1/2 to back wall in a through the wall horizontal installation. That also requires double wall pipe. These stoves have an integral rear shield as well. They say “Nothing heats like a Fisher”. There’s proof.

Reactions: jetsam