Old wood tiled stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Caroled

Oct 28, 2019
Kawartha lakes
Was wondering if anybody would have any info on this type of stove. Only markings on door is FK 1978. And thats it!! Was hpoing to find possible manufacturer, square footage it would heat etc??? Anything would be helpful.

Attachments

• 20191027_133712.jpg
    20191027_133712.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 200
The tiles look like they are of Swedish/Nordic origin. The visible glass doesn't appear to be an opening door. Where does the wood go in? It may be some sort of wood stove/masonry heater hybrid type due to their being an indirect path for the exhausting gases - thus heating the tiles. Is it even a wood stove?

If it is, I bet it is fairly efficient and a good heater - and it would probably be a large room heater. In cold Nordic countries it is common to have tile type heaters in more than one room. Is there a blower behind that grate? What nationality of people are settled in the area where this stove is? This could be a nice European burner find that most North Americans won't know what it is.

Wild guess - tile stove with a glass viewing side and a door side, and with a built-in air blower. The gases flow in a non-straight line thus heating up the tiles. It probably weighs over 2000 lbs.

Last edited:
That stove looks like a proper masonry heater, but it obviously isn’t. Tiles have an Eastern Europe appearance. Since a true masonry stoves costs a lot of money, and cannot be moved, cheap alternatives like the one in the picture are very common. That’s essentially a metal box (usually steel) covered with tiles and with no convolute masonry smoke passages. A true mass stove can easily exceed 1.5 tons! This doesn’t imply that the stove doesn’t heat your house, but it will be cold in a few hours, while a true mass stove can stay warm for a couple of days. If you can post some more pics, especially of the interior, I could be more precise. Hope this helps.

Tiled stoves (kacheloven) are traditional in northern Europe. The French made them fancier and the Swedes often made them taller and cylindrical. My guess would be German, but that's just a guess. The window and expanded metal side door are not typical which makes me wonder if this was some sort of US or Canadian market adaptation or customizing. Keep looking around for better ID of the stove.

Last edited:
Awesome for the comments. I believe the owner of house was german, which would fit. Yes this stove was extremely heavy. 4 guys and a cart we got her moved. 2 glass viewing. And one loading door for wood. A wire cage fits on top. Very heavy woodstove with masonary tile surrounding it. Im not going to use in house i have a 12 x 20 workshop. I paid 150.cdn. hope that wasnt to much i believe it would be a good stove to heat a small space.? Thank you for your replies. Any more info would be great.

20191027_133646.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Could be a nice shop stove. The tiles appear to be just a jacket. What is it like inside the firebox? Is it firebrick lined? Is there a baffle?