Older Defiant Encore Catalytic Converter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Eman85

Minister of Fire
Oct 10, 2022
E TN
I have an older VC Defiant Encore. I cannot find a model number on the stove only a serial number on the back plate that covers the catalytic converter. The only other markings are the 1986 cast into the back of the fire box. I want to replace the catalytic converter which is 13x2x2 3/4". Can anyone recommend a good place to purchase a replacement?

Thanks for the reply and the link. I've found a couple of others when I searched, there's a big difference in price. Ine of the ones I found was at Midwest Hearth, wondered if anyone had any experience with theirs.

Reactions: fbelec
Fortunately, all Encores and Defiant Encores (exc the current one mod 2040) use the same cat.

If you have rear cat access it's a mod. 2140, access through firebox mod 2190.

Fortunately, all Encores and Defiant Encores (exc the current one mod 2040) use the same cat.

If you have rear cat access it's a mod. 2140, access through firebox mod 2190.
It has a rear panel that has 4 phillips head screws that retain it. Interesting you say they are all the same. I messaged a supplier and they could not determine which catalyst I needed since I didn't have a model #. I did find an older post on this forum where someone had the exact stove as mine and they were told it was a model 0028.

I noticed a pop-up ad for a catalytic combuster at the top of the page. Has anyone ordered from that company? Company's name is Plumbers Stock.

The 0028 was the very 1st Defiant Encore, and had the same model number as the original Defiant. ( " Encore", get it?) It caused terrible confusion and quickly became the 2140. They are for all intents and purposes the same.

Thanks for the reply and the link. I've found a couple of others when I searched, there's a big difference in price. Ine of the ones I found was at Midwest Hearth, wondered if anyone had any experience with theirs.
I have had fine experience with MH.

Same here; Midwest hearth gets no complaints from me.

The Midwest Hearth catalytic combustor is a lot less than others I see advertised, makes you wonder how many companies actually make these? Can't be that much of a high demand item.
Defiant3 Thank You for clearing up the model # confusion.

I wanted to follow up with this post. I contacted Applied Ceramics which is the manufacturer of the catalysts that Midwest hearth sell. If you go to Applied Ceramics site and want to purchase you are sent to Midwest Hearth as they are their distributor. AC alaso is the supplier for Hearth and Home for new VC stoves. The only other manufacturer I found was Condar and I believe AC makes the ceramics for them. All of that said MH offered the 2 catalysts that AC makes which are ceramic and metal combustors. I went with the ceramic.