on my way to the boiler room.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ssupercoolss

Jan 28, 2008
southeast pa
i got some wonderful advice, and tips about heating with wood when i was researching my boiler.

buddy #1 - "you can season wood in three months good enough to burn." so far i have learned that wet, green wood sucks.
buddy #1 - "because my chimney is stainless steel, at the end of the year all that crap just flakes off and falls to the bottom." (me)oh yeah? hey, why was the fire company at your house in january? that must be one of those magical chimney i could have paid extra for.
buddy #1 - "i got a new stove." (me)where did you get it? "home depot! its awesome!" (me)i guess its a step up from the one you got at northern tool that lasted exactly one year. personally i like to research things to death, and i dont think northern, or HD is the best place to get a really good stove.
buddy #1 - "the new stove heats the whole house." (me)dude, its like a pizza oven in the basement, and i can almost see my breath on the first floor....whats it like on the second floor?

buddy #2 - "i got an OWB". (me) neato! what can you burn in it? "anything you can stuff in the door!"
buddy #2 - "actually green wood burns bettter in it" (me) whats that black goo running down the stack?
buddy #2 - "it holds like 120 gallons of water. thats what makes it so efficient" (me)i would refrain from using the word effecient when speaking of your OWB. i would rather him say, "i got paid to take that tree down, and now i'm burning it, so its cost effective for me to burn wood"

these are 2 of my friends that both think the internet is on another planet, and its only good for downloading viruses. theres really nothing wrong with how they are heating, but a little knowledge (like from this site) goes a long way.

P.S. - this was not meant to bash people for heating with an OWB, or a stove tucked into the furthest recess of thier basement. i just think they would be suprised that they could actually learn something from the internet, like i did.

buddy #1 - “i got a new stove.” (me)where did you get it? “home depot! its awesome!” (me)i guess its a step up from the one you got at northern tool that lasted exactly one year. personally i like to research things to death, and i dont think northern, or HD is the best place to get a really good stove.

Home Depot carries Englander stoves. The Englander NC-30 is well known for being the very best amount of heat output for your buck that you can buy, as a 3.0 Cu. Ft EPA stove you can get for $500 if you talk to a manager during the right season. That's not to say you can't also get a cheap crappy stove there, but your buddy may have gotten a great stove from HD.

Status
Not open for further replies.