On or Off when away at work?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

On Or Off when away at work.

• On

Votes: 24 96.0%
  • Off

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters

acowherd

Nov 8, 2008
MID Missouri
So season is firing back up. Who leaves the stove on while at work?

I normally leave my stove on. Mode depends on outside temps.

Do you turn your furnace off when you leave? Your water heater? Same thing.
Set thermostat for furnace at a minimum temp, let’s say 65 degrees, so that in the event the pellets run out, or if running in Stove temp mode and the weather turns more frigid, the furnace will cover the added load. Also it’s not a bad idea to allow the furnace to push hot water through the pipes to prevent freezing/cracking in the far off nooks and crannies.

Mine dont get turned off until spring! Or if it gets to warm in the house. Even when I leave for vacation I fill it and let it run until it runs out of corn

Reactions: acowherd
I'm single and without children, so the decision is made on my desire to either have a warm house or save pellets. If I had kids, the decision would be made around their lives. But the climate here in Hillsboro Oregon is quite mild for the most part. We may get a short few days of 15 degrees F in dead winter, but for the most part, high 30s and 40s at night and high 40s and some 50s in the day time. So if the house is over 70F when I leave, it gets turned off. If it has'nt quite made it to 70 because I started the stove late the prior eve, it may get filled and left run.
Pellets are my sole source of heat and I run the stoves on manual like the old days of using a wood stove. I'm happy.

i shut mine off during the day and night until the temps outside get to around 0 then i will leave it on low during the day. Once we hit -3 or so then i turn the furnace on to circulate warm air around the plumbing and leave the stove on low. What i have saved so far on gas and hydro the first few months of cool weather i have almost payed for my pellets for the year

Reactions: FirepotPete
I'm single and without children, so the decision is made on my desire to either have a warm house or save pellets. If I had kids, the decision would be made around their lives. But the climate here in Hillsboro Oregon is quite mild for the most part. We may get a short few days of 15 degrees F in dead winter, but for the most part, high 30s and 40s at night and high 40s and some 50s in the day time. So if the house is over 70F when I leave, it gets turned off. If it has'nt quite made it to 70 because I started the stove late the prior eve, it may get filled and left run.
Pellets are my sole source of heat and I run the stoves on manual like the old days of using a wood stove. I'm happy.

Pretty much the same here. As long as it's not going to take all night on high heat range to warm the house back up (no pellet savings), I'll shut it off during the day when I'm at work. When I had a family here I kept it on unless it was shoulder season and sun was going to warm the house sufficiently. But now it's just me, it's just like the days of me and the woodstove in the old house. Now I can close doors and keep the core of the house warmer. Goal is to save pellets and make it through the winter, while keeping the house from freezing up. I do have a backup LP boiler but I avoid it like the plague, not only because it costs a fortune to run, but I hate having pipes in every room that could leak at any time. I shut it down for summer and fire up the pilot for winter so it kicks on in the event of a stove failure while I'm gone.

Reactions: Deezl Smoke
I keep my pellet stove on 24/7 on the lowest setting. My oil furnace thermostat is set at 65 degrees, it kicks on when the low setting on the pellet stove can't keep up.

Before the pellet stove, I burned 600 gallons a year, now with the pellet stove on low all the time, I burn 150 to 200 gallons of oil a year.

Well seeing my eco 65 is my only heat sores in my 2,200 sq foot home it stays on yes I burn a lot of pellets 20 bags in the last 13 days but with 3.70 propane and what ever oil is it is still cheeper I’m guessing about 6 ton is what I will burn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I do have a propane monter setup it’s in the mud room ware all my water lines come in and split off just cuz I cud not get homeowners insurance with just the pellet stove and if the stove ever died I can just open that door and heat the house if need be but would rather just burn the pellets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I leave my stoves on from the first start up in fall to the last burn in spring. My main floor stove is usually run off a thermostat that is located in a room in the middle of the house (the stove is at one end). The basement stove is usually run off the attached temp probe. So both turn themselves on/off as the required. During the deep of winter I may turn one or both of the stoves to a continuous run mode - and they do that while I am at work too.

I have a propane boiler that heats the main floor only (for emergency use). I set that for 64* in case there is an issue that causes the main floor stove to shut off prematurely.

I also run a ThermGuard when temps are in the low 20's (or lower). Regardless of the inside temp, it forces the boiler to run and circulate water in the pipes for 8 minutes 3-4 times in a 24 hour period.

On, however that depends on outside temperatures. If it is cold and windy, definitely on!
Bill

On, however that depends on outside temperatures. If it is cold and windy, definitely on!
Bill
Same here.
For a little piece of mind, I put a wireless webcam in my family room so I can check in on the stove/house when I'm at work. Will at least let me see and hear what's going on.

I keep the propane furnace set to 60 all the time and use the pellet stove when I am home, so it is usually off when we are not there. Though I have added smart control to the stove so I can get home to a warm house and running stove regardless of when I head that way.

Also, with the Amazon Black Friday sales, I am going to buy an additional indoor Blink camera which will allow me to see the status of the stove (among other things).

stove stays on, unless i deem it so warm its not necessary. I also have the ability to turn the stove on or off through my phone while i'm at work but i cannot adjust the settings. I also have a camera on the stove so i can make sure everything is ok. Also have a nest CO/Smoke detector that will text me if there is an issue.

Before i had all those things, i had a little pdvc25 from englander and i left it on during work for years and never had an issue.