On Pace To Burn 4 Ton This Year, Biggest Ever!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bschrager

Sep 23, 2009
Long Island
Little history, bought a house 6.5 years ago that came with a Whitfield pellet stove, main source of heat was oil At first I used the pellet stove as a novelty since I didn't know much about them, oil was also $1.85 a gallon back then. I was also hesitant to use the pellet stove when no one was home or we were sleeping.

As oil prices rose more than double over the years I started to put more faith in the pellet stove. The stove will keep 75% of my house heated beause of my open floor plan and stairs leading up to the second floor, for the last 2 years I burn 5pm to 5am every weekday, then from Friday 5pm straight till Monday 8am. With this years cold weather I am on pace for my biggest year so far, looking at about 4 ton as I have already burned 125 bags.

With the pellet stove I would still burn oil to keep the other 25% of my house warm and for hot water. On the coldest months I would only burn 90 gallons of oil when I would hear of people using 200+ gallons a month. I've since converted to natural gas for the rest of my heat, hot water, stove, and now a gas dryer. 5 week gas bill was $150 plus 25 bags of pellets. The pellet stove was saving me a good amount of money compared to the oil and now with the gas I cut what was the oil expense in less than half.

I've been burning Green Supreme's @ $209 a ton all year, heat has been great and ash level much lower than last year.

Reactions: Thaddius Wenderoth
GS's don't have a good rap around here... i've never used them. Green Teams get better reviews. You may find that you would only burn 3 of a better brand.

You get a good feeling when you can keep the oil man away. I have not bought any oil in 2 years.

Keep up the good work.

Tom C.

I only burned 120 bags last season. Pretty sure I am about there now. Normal season is 3.5 tons(175-178 bags). I started the season with 180. Burned 83 so far. ;hm

Could be I need another excuse to buy more pellets? :p

GS's don't have a good rap around here... i've never used them. Green Teams get better reviews. You may find that you would only burn 3 of a better brand.
I like the green supremes they give off good heat and the ash is a little high but i clean my stove every sunday and at 185 ton from the box stores its great I usually burn a bag a day but with the cold weather went to 2 bags a day. and would rather burn 4 bags a day then use OIL

Status
Not open for further replies.