one for the control guys

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ssupercoolss

Jan 28, 2008
southeast pa
the birthdate of my boiler seems to be getting pushed back....again. i am trying to line up all my ducks, so i know exactly what i need to do when this thing comes in. a little reading in the owners manual, leads me to believe this boiler isnt as "plug and play" friendly as i would have originally thought. the aquastat that is supplied with the unit is for controlling the temp in the boiler only, keeping the temp up around 180 or so, by opening or closing the draft door. it doesnt seem as though i will be hooking my thermostat up to that one, although the manual says i can if i get another S350. havent found much literature or support, on this control, so i am thinking i will let one do its job, controlling the temp of the boiler, and kicking on the circulator as needed in the overheat situation. so, i think i need to get a second aquastat to hook up to my thermosat, and turn the circulator on when heat is called for. what should i be looking for with this second aquastat? i guess the second thing i am looking for help on is, having 2 aquastats control one circulator pump. aquastat "A" wants to turn it on when the boiler gets above 200 degrees, and aquastat "B" wants to turn it on when the thermostat calls for heat. do i need some type of isolator, or relay, so as to not backfeed the other aquastat? i hope this makes sense, but i think i am not doing such a good job of explaining it.

if you are into a little light reading, heres the manual for the boiler. http://noutilitybills.com/IndoorBoilers/Harman/pdf/SFBoilerManual.pdf

An aquastat is just a mechanical switch, as far as I know from the ones I've seen. You could wire them in parallel so that either one could complete the circuit. Make sure your overheat aquastat turns off above the maximum temperature of the damper control, or your house will resemble a sauna.

Status
Not open for further replies.