Operating Temps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sbk12rs

Hearth Supporter
Dec 29, 2009
Smithfield , RI
Hi All , new member with a few Questions .

I have a Quadrafire 3100 wood stove installed in a corner of the living room . Single wall black pipe to a SS double wall pipe outside about 8/9 feet long . the total lenght of the black pipe to the elbow out is 2.5' , from the elbow the outside wall is approx. 2' . Enough info to answer my ??'s I think .........

I have read 3/5 pages of temp threads here and ,,, MAN there's some good info !!!

But that said I still have a couple ........

I have a Rutland temp gauge magnet type mounted 2" above the top of the stove . With my infra-red temp guage it reads pretty close to good enough .

I am concerned about chimney fires , and about twice a week I'll get the stove up to the " overburn range " for about 10/15 minutes . ( makes me a little tense )

The stoves keeps the house comfortable in the 70/80 range ( nice and Hot ) with the gauge in the low 300's . Is that too Low ?

Today a filled it with some scrap pine and fired the stove to the overfire range real quick . Is that smart ? It scared the crap out of me that i shut all the air off and let it settle down to its normal range of 300's .

Its been running everyday all day for about two months now , When we get home 5/8 hours later there's some coal let ... give it a quick shake and its off and running again . Am I doing it right ? Or should I let it cool right down ?

I'm sure I'll have more ?'s

Tia , Steven Brunelle

Great forum !!!

overburn in the 700-800 in a single wall chimney for long periods of time isnt good once you get to 600-650 look to start the shutdown to be safe 550-600.... but remember once you cut the air back the pipe should be somewhere between 200-500 most times it will be about 3-350 and the stove will be cranking out heat.... i reccomend putting another one on the stovetop because you will notice the stack is at 300 and the stove top could be around 600 which is fine...

Status
Not open for further replies.