Opinion on chimney flue inspection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jeremyF

Dec 11, 2023
Virginia
I just had our flues inspected and the inspector said he saw large cracks in one of them. This flue has not been used by us, but we would like to add a wood stove to it. Personally, I can't really make out cracks in the images. Can a better trained eye give me another opinion?

We were told the narrowest dimension of the flue is 6.5" and with minor deviations in the flue, a 6" liner wouldn't feed down from the top. Therefore, the only solution is to remove the current flue. Removal and install of stainless comes with a $7k price tag. Hoping there's another option because I can't spend that much.

Screenshot 2023-12-11 at 4.45.52 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-12-11 at 4.45.45 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-12-11 at 4.45.32 PM.png

An insulated ovalized flue liner is also an option. Or, if the liner is a straight shot down, a pre-insulated, oval system like DuraLiner.

I don’t see know if it’s cracks or just something throwing the light a bit in the pics but there may be things I can’t see or images not taken. Either way, I would go with an insulated stainless liner.