Opinion on popular IWB's. Have lovely Mass laws to deal with

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MJG

Oct 9, 2012
I'm looking for any WB veteran's advice on the best option to go with. I live in the wonderful commonwealth of Taxachusetts and evidently they have some of the strictest laws on Woodboilers. I've been doing my research and not sure which indoor brand is the most cost effective type. I'm heating a 2000 sq ft. poorly insulated house and already have a 8" class A chimney in the basement ready to go. It appears that Empyre's are low pressure, while most others are pressurized. Any opiion on that. The Empyre also only has a 10 yr. warranty while most others are 20 yr. Any Wood Doctor owners. I'm looking to avoid the whole water storage tank saga but need to heat baseboard forced hot water system and tankless hot water. Trying to avoid the $7000.00-$10,000 price tags, but if the cheap ones don't last or a re a bunch of headaches I'm willing to pay it. I'd like to also get as long of a burn time as possible as I don't want to re fire the stove every morning and night. Any thoughts on whats the best set-up vs. a cheap not so efficient but solid brand. Here is the link to the brands they suggest. www.mass.gov/dep/air/community/certohh.htm If you see one missing that looks like it is missing and is a good one that meets the requirements, please let me know. Thanks.

This link you provided appears to be for outdoor wood boilers unless I am mistaken.... Your looking to put a indoor wood boiler in correct? I am currently putting in a vigas 40 with storage in MA. I was planning on installing it without storage but after reading up on it on this forum I felt the convenience factor made it a no brainer.

Good luck finding a boiler w/o storage that only requires 1 reload per day in the heating season of New England. Regarding warranties, duration is important to note but what is included, or for that matter excluded, is just as ..if not more important.

I'm looking for any WB veteran's advice on the best option to go with. I live in the wonderful commonwealth of Taxachusetts and evidently they have some of the strictest laws on Woodboilers. I've been doing my research and not sure which indoor brand is the most cost effective type. I'm heating a 2000 sq ft. poorly insulated house and already have a 8" class A chimney in the basement ready to go. It appears that Empyre's are low pressure, while most others are pressurized. Any opiion on that. The Empyre also only has a 10 yr. warranty while most others are 20 yr. Any Wood Doctor owners. I'm looking to avoid the whole water storage tank saga but need to heat baseboard forced hot water system and tankless hot water. Trying to avoid the $7000.00-$10,000 price tags, but if the cheap ones don't last orbunch of headaches I'm willing to pay it. I'd like to also get as long of a burn time as possible as I don't want to re fire the stove every morning and night. Any thoughts on whats the best set-up vs. a cheap not so efficient but solid brand. Here is the link to the brands they suggest. www.mass.gov/dep/air/community/certohh.htm If you see one missing that looks like it is missing and is a good one that meets the requirements, please let me know. Thanks.

I have a Thermo Control. It's a well built unit with 20 yr warranty. I have the mid level unit with a 17 cu foot chamber. On board system stores 170 gallons. I load it 3 times a day in the dead of winter. Company I bought it from is called national stoves works. They claim to be in business since the 70's. IWB goes for 4-7k depending on model.

I have the high end boiler with storage. A very good friend of mine has a basic New Yorker boiler without storage. He's happy. I'm happy. He paid $3000. I paid way more than that. He has seasoned wood, so do I. No matter what you do........HAVE SEASONED WOOD!!!! thats the best money spent. No matter what you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.