optimal stove location in fireplace ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

deedub

Hearth Supporter
Jul 11, 2008
beside sleeping hibbomock
hey all. well i purchased my jotul 400 stove and it is now installed in my existing outside wall
fireplace. i put the reversible flue collar pointing upwards so the stove is closer to the back wall of the firebox and farther from the front face of my hearth edge. the stove probably sits a couple of inches in front of the face of masonry and is about 6 inches to masonry fireplace at the sides. am i shortchanging my stove's heating ability given it's location and is there any gains by reversing the collar out the back and pushing the stove out in the room more for better radiant heat ?

Does it have a blower kit? Did you install a block-off plate? If you pull the stove out, will you have sufficient front clearance to combustibles? Rick

no block off plate, but foil back koawool.
i would have too extend the hearth if i wanted to pull the stove out. i'm just gauging to see if that would be worth it in heat gain ?

Does the stove have a blower kit installed? Rick

Jotul doesn't have blowers for their free standing wood stoves Rick. Just the gas models.

BrotherBart said:
Jotul doesn't have blowers for their free standing wood stoves Rick. Just the gas models.

Oh, well, I guess that's a "no" then. :red: Rick

fossil said:
BrotherBart said:

Oh, well, I guess that's a "no" then. :red: Rick

One of them deductive reasoning exercises.

There could be advantages and disadvantages. It should heat the room a bit better. But the F400 likes a good drafting flue. With an exterior chimney it could be a bit balky starting up until the chimney is warm. Was the liner insulated as recommended?

The other question is there a wood mantle or surrounding woodwork above the stove top? If so, there are clearances issues that need addressing, perhaps with a heatshield?

Yep. The further out of the fireplace the more heat radiation out into the room from the top and sides. Unless you have a mantel that will be too close for clearances to combustibles after you pull it out.

Edit: Echo....

stove does have an insulated liner and will be getting a mantle shield as well.
i'll upload pics when i get the shield done. i have high expectations for this "cadillac"of stoves, jotul 400.

Ah good. Did you decide to go with the smaller F400 in the living room after all?

PS: This is more of a European model. Maybe the Volvo of stoves would be more appropriate.

yes, i put it in the living room because i felt we would get more heat gain throughout the house with it in that location. i think the family room location would've a great place since we are in there often, but it wouldn't heat the " whole " house as well and probably cook us out of that room. "volvo ? "..sure. it's just a nice little gem of a stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.