Options for cleaning flue pipe with a 45 degree run?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

GrumpyDad

Minister of Fire
Feb 23, 2022
Champion, PA
The cleaner I have makes an awful noise. It's the type that has the weedwacker string connected to a ball using flexible nylon rods. Especially when I go through a 45 elbow to get a 45 deg run of pipe that I have in my setup.

I noticed the last time I cleaned, the pipe actually moved a bit. I was able to straighten it easily, but with everything being rather screwed in tight that concerned me as well.

Im wonder if there is a different option like a softer brush that people have used vs these things. Im thinking maybe that will be a bit less hard on the stove pipe, maybe flop around a lot less causing the pipe to move, and maybe even get the lower are of the angled run as Im sure when I first make the bend im not getting it as good as I should.

Also what experience do people in here have with removing telescopic pipe to really get in there and clean the angles. Im kinda wondering if I will ever find my holes again to reinsert the screws. Did you use some sort of blue tape to mark where you had it last and then just twist to find the holes? How badly did you scrap up your pipe? Id like to do this once a year but am not sure if they are meant to be disassembled like this that often.

I used to disassemble and clean 1-2 times per year. I have 10 ft or so of stove pipe with two 45s and then a cleanout tee (90 degree bend there). That was before I got the sooteater. Now I clean 2 times per year. Yes, it makes a racket but the pipe does not move.

I never had a problem finding the holes in the telescoping pipe when I took the stove pipe apart and put it back together. You should not have to worry about that.

The paint on the pipe held up well, and I have the cheaper stuff from Menard's.