Orlan Super 40 Boiler Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maineiac-Jay

Hearth Supporter
Mar 31, 2009
Northern Maine
Hey there folks,
I am in the process of trying to figure out what kind of gassifier is the best bang for the buck. I have talked with ctgreenheat.com and they have a Super 40 which they claim is the same thing as the EKO 40, just different sheet metal. Does anyone know what the deal is with these Super 40 boilers? To all of you EKO dealers, have there been any changes/updates over the years in the EKO 40 units? Has anyone done any business with ctgreenheat? There prices are really good, I just don't know if it is too good to be true. Thanks folks for your help.
Jay

I think they've gone bankrupt..... Their website is like, empty........

My understanding is that the EKO "super" is simply an upgrade to have the turbulator cleaners (the handle on the left side of the boiler, towards the back). Other than that I believe the EKO super and EKO "normal" are identical. If these guys are telling you it was a change in sheet metal I'd be wary of doing business with them...

jay i think the only difference between the 40 and super 40 is the super 40 has the built in scrub brush for cleaning the turbolaters i bought one from dave at cozy heat last fall good price free shipping.good guys to deal with call them up you will get the real story. good luck dave

Maineiac-Jay said:
I was just on their site, what are you talking about they are bankrupt. I talked with one guy on email yesterday, www.ctgreenheatllc.com is the site that I have been on, is that the same one that you are talking about?

I think Matt might be correct about these guys and they could be just clearing existing units . That being said the eko green units would still have parts available from other folks like cozy heat and new horizons so they would be pretty safe. The red front ones
look a little different than just sheet metal looking at the damper release on the side but it could just be bent a little different I would want to compare them side by side and see if all the internals and gaskets are the same before buying.
Compare the price with the other dealers and see what the savings vs the risk are . I have an eko 40 bought a couple of years ago from Dave at cozy heat and have no complaints .

My bad, I went to the website you originally posted which was ctgreenheat.com...... The second site, ctgreenheatllc.com looks like someone very much in business.....

I find something fishy about that unit.... It just doesn't look like an EKO......... As far as the "super" part, I thought that all the New Horizons units were the "super"s....

That is the new EKO Super. Orlan changed the sheet metal early this year, after I bought in the fall. There are others on this forum who have units like this, I have seen some pics here. The controller is the same as the earlier units. I like the color change - red like a sports car!

Matt is right--all the EKOs imported by New Horizon over the past few years have been Supers. A year or two ago you could still get non-Super EKOs in Canada, I believe. And the main difference was the moveable turbulators. And my understanding, after having seen one at a trade show, is that the red ones are identical to the green ones in function, just with an updated design.

Anyway they're solid boilers, no matter who you buy them from.

That's correct, the new Orlans & Paxos are identical to the EKO other than bypass handle is moved to the side & body sheet metal is square & doors have sheet metal wrapped around toward the body.

Maineiac-Jay said:
Hey there folks,
I am in the process of trying to figure out what kind of gassifier is the best bang for the buck. I have talked with ctgreenheat.com and they have a Super 40 which they claim is the same thing as the EKO 40, just different sheet metal. Does anyone know what the deal is with these Super 40 boilers? To all of you EKO dealers, have there been any changes/updates over the years in the EKO 40 units? Has anyone done any business with ctgreenheat? There prices are really good, I just don't know if it is too good to be true. Thanks folks for your help.
Jay

I too would like to know if anyone has had a purchase experience from these guys,there prices look very enticing.

I met those guys two or three times this past spring and they impressed me as really honest, decent people trying to gain market share. They told me that they buy container loads of boilers and then tack $1,000 onto what they paid and call it good enough. That probably explains the attractive pricing. They also seem pretty knowledgeable about not only the Atmos line, but other boilers on the market as well.

That's just my impression, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them.

I bought my EKO 40 from CozyHeat in very late December of 2008 and received it the 2nd week of Jan. 09. I will second the Cozy Heat gang. Very friendly, patient and knowledgeable. The unit from Green Heat is identacle to mine except for the red control panel face plate.
Here are some pics of my EKO 40.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/33916/

I bought my boiler from Cozy Heat and heartily second everything that's been said about Dave & Co. as well.

There may be some sleazy people selling downdraft gasification boilers, but I have yet to meet one.

Guess I been out cutting wood too long and missed the news of the new sheetmetal design , looks good and considering all of us that had to mod our damper handles a change was needed in that area.

Eric Johnson said:
I met those guys two or three times this past spring and they impressed me as really honest, decent people trying to gain market share. They told me that they buy container loads of boilers and then tack $1,000 onto what they paid and call it good enough. That probably explains the attractive pricing. They also seem pretty knowledgeable about not only the Atmos line, but other boilers on the market as well.

That's just my impression, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them.

When I was shopping for our boiler I spoke with one of the guys there. He spent close to an hour on the phone with me and called me back as promised on something eh didn't have an answer to. I was impressed with the conversation we had. Main reason we didn't buy from them(or the Atmos) is the unit was too bigl to fit into our basement bulkhead without some major modifications. I also was concerned about parts availability although they stated they would overnight anything I may need from them. I guess you will have this with any importer that isn't close by.

I Just met with Rich and his brother from ctgreenheat at their shop in CT. They are really great guys and spent quite a long time answering very specific questions in quite fine detail about the boilers and what they find as best over all setup for my needs. I am quite impressed both with them and the red Super. I compared a 40red super and green EKO 40 super side by side. this unit is a new style orlan super no doubt. These units are built by orlan as the rear tags are all orlan labels and the cast internals are a dead match. the red top control cover ( housing a rf 2001) is a difference and a 5 yr warranty vs. a 20 yr warranty that goes into prorating after 5 yrs is the other difference.

just picked up my red super 25 from ed and rich today, cant wait to finish the shed as it looks so lonely in the garage waiting for its new home. maybe some pictures are in order.

Status
Not open for further replies.