Orley's Stove MH10999 Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Emily Flynn

Sep 23, 2021
Hello, I am posting this for my neighbor. He was given an old stove by his uncle recently. The Uncle had it stored (covered and unused) in a barn for years. Its an Orley's Cast Iron stove model MH10999. It appears to be in really good condition although it needs to be cleaned. All the doors open well and hinges move freely. It doesn't look like it was used much. My neighbor doesn't use any internet devices so I told him I would try and find out a few things for him.

1: What is the best way to clean and treat the cast iron stove itself?
2: Is there a user manual in existence for this stove?
2: He has no idea what to charge for it if he were to try and sell it. And frankly, I will be the one listing it on craigslist or facebook marketplace for him. I'm trying to help him out so that he gets a fair deal and doesn't get ripped off.

I attached some pictures and can take better ones if anyone needs them for clarification. Its kind of hard to see in the picture but the manufacture date etched on the plate on the back is 10/82. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Emily on behalf of Tim

IMG_7812.jpg IMG_7809.jpg IMG_7811.jpg IMG_7810.jpg

This is a steel stove, not cast iron. It doesn't look too bad. If not repainting then just give it a good dusting with a damp rag. The go for $2-400 depending on the market at the time. Make sure it is legal to sell in his state.

There was some recent chatter about a very decorative version of this stove recently in this thread:

As far as a second opinion I think begreen is right in the ball park for the price. I would start out high as I find that someone usually makes and offer. This will give you some room to bargain with those who are interested. I have never seen one of these stoves with brass before it look nice.

This is a steel stove, not cast iron. It doesn't look too bad. If not repainting then just give it a good dusting with a damp rag. The go for $2-400 depending on the market at the time. Make sure it is legal to sell in his state.

There was some recent chatter about a very decorative version of this stove recently in this thread:
thank you