Osborn vs Regency

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Skl

Jan 27, 2020
Md
Looking for a small insert for a 1000sf cabin. Osborn 1700 or a Regency i1500? I appreciate everyone's feedback.

Looking for a small insert for a 1000sf cabin. Osborn 1700 or a Regency i1500? I appreciate everyone's feedback.
Will the cabin have any other heat? If you are going to be bringing the cabin up from cold you will probably need bigger than either of those

2 totally different types of insert. The Osburn is a non-catalytic secondary tube type, and the Regency is a hybrid catalytic type.

That being said the Osburn will have difficulty sustaining an overnight burn, the firebox is pretty small. If there is another source of heat though that might not matter.

The Regency should burn overnight, but only if set not much above low output.

If the regency does burn overnight the heat output would be extremely low. It is only a 1.3 cu ft box. It is tiny.

I had an osburn 1600 in a older 3 level home that was insulated just okay. The main level where the stove was located was around 1000sqft. I could get a 5-6 hour burn out of it but the gas furnace would still need to kick around 3-4 in the morning. As I recall the 1600 had a 1.8 cuft firebox but I dont think it was all usable because of the baffle. It was a good stove but it lacked an all night burn. Maybe if you are well insulated and tight it would work?

Forgot to add. The fire box was not real deep. I had to cut all my wood to 14" or so to load north/south which is almost required to stuff it full and get a 5 hour burn

Last edited:
If you can fit it I would jump up to the 2000. Based on my experience with the one I had and customer service at the time, I wouldn't hesitate buying another Osburn stove.

Will the cabin have any other heat? If you are going to be bringing the cabin up from cold you will probably need bigger than either of those
Thanks. I have e look electric panel heat that kicks on around 40. The Osborn holds more wood. The legacy is more efficient. It's a get away not a full time residence. The Osborn is not catolitic the legacy is.

Thanks. I have e look electric panel heat that kicks on around 40. The Osborn holds more wood. The legacy is more efficient. It's a get away not a full time residence. The Osborn is not catolitic the legacy is.
Yes I know the differences. But even from 40 it is going to take hours to bring the cabin up to temp with either of those stoves. I guess it may not be too bad if you turn up the electric also.

When you say cabin, is this an occasional use type thing or permanent living? What utilities and connectivity is available? If I had had a weekend get away type place that had internet capability that I planned to heat with wood, I may consider an electric heating system that could be turned on remotely before I got there. Where is it located? And what is the current setup? All these things may play into what system you choose.

Go larger than you think. It takes a lot of firepower to raise the mass of a cold interior.

What are the fireplace dimensions?