Osburn 2000 insert Temp Monitoring?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

emsflyer84

Sep 12, 2011
Central NH
Hey all, I’m having my Osburn 2000 wood insert installed in a couple weeks. I’ve really enjoyed researching and learning about what’s involved in hearing with wood. My question today is, how important is it to keep a close eye on stove temps? I see a lot of folks have a small magnetic thermometer stuck to the top of their stoves so it can be monitored. Is this an important thing to have? If so, what’s the best way to monitor temps on an insert? A stick-on type (if there’s space on an insert), an infrared thermo gun, etc? Any advice is welcomed. Thanks.

A stove top thermometer will work for this insert. Note that it will read lower with the blower on than when it is off.

Reactions: emsflyer84
I have an Osburn insert. We liked having the stove top thermometer to help us gauge things.

If you have lots of distractions(kids) or are easily side tracked I like my Auber at200 thermometer alarm. They may a wireless version too.

Reactions: emsflyer84
I am having a Napoleon S25i insert installed in a couple of weeks, will a stove top stick on thermometer work for it as well? Thanks

This guy has the same insert and he uses an IR thermometer. IR thermometers are useful for stove tops and a bunch of other uses.

That said, a stove top thermometer will probably work for this unit also.

Reactions: HoosierMike
This guy has the same insert and he uses an IR thermometer. IR thermometers are useful for stove tops and a bunch of other uses.

That said, a stove top thermometer will probably work for this unit also.

Thank you for this video, it was very helpful to actually see my stove in operation, and the fire starting instruction was just what I needed! I will start shopping for an IR thermometer, that looks like an excellent choice.

Reactions: dafattkidd
Thank you for this video, it was very helpful to actually see my stove in operation, and the fire starting instruction was just what I needed! I will start shopping for an IR thermometer, that looks like an excellent choice.
Be sure to get one that can sense temps above 500°. Harbor Freight has inexpensive options that are totally sufficient.
D2E47405-A429-4864-A84F-3E66F81FB5E7.jpeg

Reactions: HoosierMike