Osburn 2400 Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Statefan86

Nov 2, 2015
Wendell, NC
Hey folks!

Been reading this forum for a few years while the wife and I considered investing in an insert for our large and never-before-used masonry fireplace (in a house built in 1994). Currently there is a set of crappy gas logs in there which we have used once in 4 years. We are sick of paying for propane for our furnace and have finally invested in an Osburn 2400.

The liner kit (insulation, cap, etc) was delivered last week, and she just called to tell me the insert has arrived today, so looks like I best get on the ball! I think I have everything pertaining to the install figured out after reading up on the tons of great info found here. Additionally, my friend who has done a few will be helping.

My only question is on the gas logs. They are fed by a 1/4 turn keyed valve to the right of the hearth, supplied by a black iron pipe coming up through the back corner of the fireplace. My current plan is to remove the line back to the elbow where it comes up through the brick, then cap it off there with some pipe dope. The line is far enough towards the back that, once capped, should not interfere with the insert whatsoever. I would like to leave it there in case someone (for whatever reason) wants gas in the future. Is this an advisable approach?

Looking forward to getting this puppy up and running, and hope we start getting some chilly days in NC so I can try it out! And I know pictures are required, so I will snap some along the way.

Thanks everyone!

if the line is still going to have gas supplied to it i would remove it entirely, not just cap it off.

Thanks for the input. It will NOT have gas supplied to it unless someone turns the key. I removed the gas logs tonight and capped the line off. As of now, there is no gas whatsoever in that line.

I may go under the house and cap it off at the valve, but I'm thinking this should be OK.

if it was me i'd cap it at the valve, that way you don't have to worry about heat transfer at all on it. maybe you don't need to do that but i'd rather err on the side of caution.

Status
Not open for further replies.