Osburn 2400

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

LQVan

Dec 2, 2022
Vancouver
Hi - I moved into a house with a Osburn 2400 and Cleaning the unit currently. How do you clean the air tube? I can find where the air comes into the stove and out the tube. Does anyone know?

Normally one does not clean the secondary tubes. There is no need because they are under positive pressure.

Normally one does not clean the secondary tubes. There is no need because they are under positive pressure.
I removed the ash recently and the fire doesn’t go as well as it did before and it looks like the fire is not getting enough air and with dry wood the fire just smoulders out. The damper doesn’t seem to be doing anything either when I open it fully or close and I’m at a loss for what changed. Could it be to the bricks not having enough space in the back?
6DFBA93D-566A-4E91-B205-8BE99EB6B92D.jpeg

That's a tiny fire, even for kindling, but it looks like it's burning well.

The two most common causes are that the wood is not dry internally or that something is restricting draft. The firebrick looks fine.

Do you have a moisture meter? If so, bring in a couple of splits and let them come up to room temp for a few hours, then resplit them in half and measure the moisture on the freshly exposed center of the wood.

For the draft, please describe the flue system from stove to chimney cap including diameter and height. When was it last cleaned? If there is a screen on the chimney cap, that is a common location for plugging.

That's a tiny fire, even for kindling, but it looks like it's burning well.

The two most common causes are that the wood is not dry internally or that something is restricting draft. The firebrick looks fine.

Do you have a moisture meter? If so, bring in a couple of splits and let them come up to room temp for a few hours, then resplit them in half and measure the moisture on the freshly exposed center of the wood.

For the draft, please describe the flue system from stove to chimney cap including diameter and height. When was it last cleaned? If there is a screen on the chimney cap, that is a common location for plugging.
The chimney is external and goes up about 2.5 stories. There is a section in the house that is exposed for about 4 feet. The diameter of the flue is 6inches. It is -4 C outside and I can’t feel any draft coming down the chimney and into the stove when the fire is out. Is that normal? The stove and chimney were inspected and cleaned in Feb 2022. Does the damper control the tubes that run across the top stove?

image.jpg

I wouldn't expect to feel any draft coming down the chimney, just the opposite. I would expect to feel some suction at the flue exit with the draft pulling room air up the flue.

You mentioned that you thought the stove was burning better before. Before the cleaning or before this season?

Is the stove in the basement?

I wouldn't expect to feel any draft coming down the chimney, just the opposite. I would expect to feel some suction at the flue exit with the draft pulling room air up the flue.

You mentioned that you thought the stove was burning better before. Before the cleaning or before this season?

Is the stove in the basement?
Yes the stove is in the basement. It was burning better before I removed the ash.