Osburn 3500 wood insert blower

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cforte

Jan 5, 2024
Port Jefferson, NY
Hi,

I have used Vermont Castings and Napolean in different homes and never had a problem with the blowers. I am in now in larger home and purchased the Osburn 3500 due to its superior BTU output. It does generate more heat than I have ever had in the past, but the blower does not come on until the space directly in front of the fireplace is 88 deg F, leaving the far end of the room at 70 deg C until the blower comes on. I would like the blower to turn on at a lower temperature. Is there an adjustment for this?

There isn't an adjustment other than making sure the thermostatic snap switch is in good contact with the stove body. There will be a delay of about an hour from a cold start of the stove because the fan doesn't come on until the whole stove is warmed up. After that it should run quicker on reloads if it stops.

The snap switch could be replaced with one that has a lower "on" temperature as long as it is the same amperage rating, but the OEM switch is already fairly low with a 110º "on" temp. Is there a ceiling fan in the room. That can help circulate the heat in the room faster. It can be set to blow in reverse (upward) for winter operation.

My Osburn 3500 insert was doing the same thing when it was first installed. After looking carefully I realized the whole blower assembly was not properly "latched in" to the stove. So the little thermal disc that lets the fan turn on when the stove is up to temperature was not making good contact with the body of the stove. I suspect you have the same issue going on.

I would detach the blower assembly off the stove and look carefully at the way it mounts to the stove. Then reassemble it, being careful to make sure all the mounting tabs are engaged.

This is hard to describe in words but once you pull the blower assembly off the stove and look at the mounting tabs it will be obvious.