Osburn Stratford 2 outdoor air supply?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jon Double

Oct 16, 2022
Tennessee
Installing an Osburn Stratford 2 in a corner location made the area bigger than Osburn framing configuration. Osburn requires a minimum of 10 feet of Class 1 Insulated flexible duct with an outside diameter of +- 8". I cannot go down through the floor with the duct and have only 6'6" up. Loop it up and out? How have others installed this size and amount of duct in the enclosure?

I think that is a maximum - for an outside air connection, not a minimum.

But I'm confused about your 8" dia. That makes me think you are mixing up the chimney and the outside air piping?

I don't know your fireplace, but if it runs on natural draft, the outside air connection should go horizontal or down, not up.

Just installed the Stratford II last year. Page 53 of the installation manual shows "min 10 pi" with a max 3 pi to the 'p' trap. The 8"+/- is what the insulated 4" duct is in size. Mine drafts really hard until the unit heats up... I did install the damper but never close it except when not running. I have about 10' horizontal run with several additional feet for the 'p' trap and floor pass thru. See attached photos.

One word of advice. Small fire first to heat the unit and flue up. Then build a regular fire on the coals. It often takes an hour or more to get the blower to turn on on auto, so I turn it on manually as soon as I can start getting heat and then flip it to auto once it will stay on so it shuts off when the unit cools.
16659709726874745693236304973793.jpg16659710140005622161883048101006.jpg