Our Green Energy crisis is over ;)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
Meanwhile I have some great deals on beachfront real estate in Florida

The project has been simmering up near me for a few years https://news.yahoo.com/nh-business-utah-company-says-045900546.html

Good luck trying to figure it out https://qhydrogen.com/

Go to the trouble of producing hydrogen, then using it in a recip to generate electricity? At one point they had commented that they had located the plant at an old papermill site as there was an unused natural gas connection.

From the little info given is they put water into the spinning "turbine" and hydrogen comes out which is then used to generate electricity. In theory spinning the turbine requires power input and to date I havent seen how they plan to spin it. Hopefully they arent using the hydrogen to spin the turbine. If they use natural gas to spin the turbine its not really green hydrogen?

NH motto is "Live Free or Die", I think the state and local's approach is as long as the developer does not ask for public money to build it, then feel free to spend their own money. There was a prior firm that was making a substitute for bunker C out of sawdust and another firm that had a plant to make #4 fuel oil substitute out of plastic. Both seemed to go away before they went commercial.

Reactions: woodgeek
I would think the turbine is spun from the river flow, like a hydroelectric plant. The water serves dual duty, both as the raw material, and to fuel the engine to crack that material into hydrogen.

Seems it would make the most sense to use that hydrogen to power fuel cells to generate electricity. Which is more efficient than using it to power a turbine generator.

Using the water as dual duty might be more efficient than just using it to directly turn the turbine. Must be, otherwise why do it?

Last edited:
Reactions: stoveliker
Good luck trying to figure it out https://qhydrogen.com/
You got that right.

Another quote here on their process:
"Q Hydrogen is poised to become a dominant player in the renewable energy market. Its proprietary technology generates hydrogen from water using hydrodynamic forces created within a turbine featuring a unique design and metallurgy. This allows for hydrogen production at a lower cost and without the carbon impact of conventional methods that utilize natural gas and other fossil fuel sources."

Hopefully they arent using the hydrogen to spin the turbine.
I'm okay with that as long as the net energy balance is positive.

If the net energy balance is positive, its a perpetual motion machine and the patent office will not patent it. There is a nearby river with small run of the river low head hydro which I think is the source of their water.

If the net energy balance is positive, its a perpetual motion machine and the patent office will not patent it. There is a nearby river with small run of the river low head hydro which I think is the source of their water.
Is it still perpetual motion if there is an outside fuel source? In this case river water?

Reactions: Ashful
I would not hold your breath.

"His extensive research focuses on a new relationship between energy and matter, with a wide-range of applications."

They tout new quantum physics - but don't explain their process. This has not much to do with physics, instead it's chemistry. And hydrogen chemistry is quite well known, especially in conjunction with water.

I don't think that small stream can provide the energy (gravitational mass thruput) to provide as much power (up to 100 MW) they mention.

Reactions: Ashful
From the very limited info, I gather conversions from gravitational potential energy (flowing water), to kinetic energy (turbine), to chemical energy (hydrogen), to kinetic energy (turbine), to electric energy. Each step is associated with (heat) losses. That's thermodynamics (which they also make vague claims about).

A direct hydropower (gravitational potential energy to electric with that turbine) is going to be at least as efficient.

Photocatalytic water to hydrogen conversion followed by (catalytic) fuel cell conversion into electrical energy is a much more direct process with less losses, in principle. Hence the large amount of research into photolysis and fuel cells.

Reactions: tlc1976
I do not know the capacity of the current hydro in the area, not much head and its a tributary, so flow is highly seasonal. My guess at best 2 or 3 MW peak in the spring? My brother has 160 acres up in the headwaters of the river a few miles away and as far I know its just typical run off from mostly undeveloped raw timberland. Nothing special in the water. Although there is potential in the local bedrock to have thorium (like most of Northern New England, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia), they do not mention a nuclear option.

It sure sounds like another "cold fusion", it sounds technically complex and possibly plausible but eventually when third parties try to duplicate the results it goes nowhere.

This is pure 100% snake oil. They are using the term "Clear Hydrogen" which is not actually one of the colors of hydrogen but something they made up. Here's an excerpt from blog post by the same guy running this company from back in 2020:

Enter a new color of hydrogen… let’s call it “Clear” Hydrogen.

Clear hydrogen is produced by extracting hydrogen from water, like green hydrogen, but rather than using electrolysis to “zap” the hydrogen away from the oxygen, a new technology does so using water that is subjected to external influences coupled with extremely rapid variations in pressure, temperature and motion. There is no heat, and more importantly, no carbon used or generated in the process.
So they get the energy from "external influences" and they have variations in temperature but no heat used? Not very convincing if you ask me.

Indeed: "if clear hydrogen plant is powered by the hydrogen energy it produces, the energy it generates would be 100% carbon free".

That is a perpetuum mobile.

Reactions: gthomas785
The O-H bond is something like 4.6 eV. That’s not a small energy. I have a hard time thinking will work.

Not sure, to me the question is there room for a monorail? (Simpson reference )

Lol.

If the idea here is to make money, and the known technologies and laws seem to say it can’t work, Then how are they going to make money? Maybe it’s not through power generation?

Why would somebody want a plot of land in rural NH at the intersection of 2 highways by the Canadian border?

I’m thinking this has a lot to do with Canada being close.

The plot of land is pretty worthless as it is probably a brownfield site. A local scrap merchant got hold of the site years ago, tore out what he could to make a buck, fixed up some older buildings and has gotten the town to bond to cover redoing utilities. He usually is the buyer of last resort for properties no one else wants due to potential liabilities.

Lol.

If the idea here is to make money, and the known technologies and laws seem to say it can’t work, Then how are they going to make money? Maybe it’s not through power generation?
By talking investors without knowledge of basic thermodynamics (as in the first and second laws of thermodynamics) out of their dollars.

You got that right.

Another quote here on their process:
"Q Hydrogen is poised to become a dominant player in the renewable energy market. Its proprietary technology generates hydrogen from water using hydrodynamic forces created within a turbine featuring a unique design and metallurgy. This allows for hydrogen production at a lower cost and without the carbon impact of conventional methods that utilize natural gas and other fossil fuel sources."

I'm okay with that as long as the net energy balance is positive.
That's not possible. Matter cannot be destroyed or created.

Is the land flat enough to carve out a landing strip?
The earth is flat dontcha know. I seen it with my own eyes. We are living on a disc , we just wobble at a high speed so as to appear ball shaped.
Sasquatch is real
Hollywood is all knowing.
Politicians having our best interest at heart.
Big pharma and food does more good than harm.

Lol

Reactions: sloeffle
That's not possible. Matter cannot be destroyed or created.
oh yes it can.
Nuclear energy is precisely "liberated" from the material because matter was destroyed.

I believe they propose to produce hydrogen from water (through those "special circumstances"), i.e. they would do water splitting.

Of course that does not take away that this is utter and ridiculous bogus.