Our Vermont Castings Stardance stove has been

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

k0wtz

Nov 30, 2010
missouri
Well after looking for awhile I found what I thought was the perfect Vermont Castings gas stove. I was assured it worked perfectly when I purchased it. After owning this thing for 5 years I found out it didnt work at all and parts were not available any longer honesty I was very discouraged over this stove. Then I found out Vermont Castings had been in and out of business for quite a few years plus it was full of dog hair.

So it sat in my garage for this amount of time I started to study up on this system and how on earth I was going to salvage my money plus have a working stove to replace our smelly non-vented gas stove. In my studies I found Robert Shaw made a replacement gas valve, when I removed everything I found I needed in addition a new pilot line, and thermocouple.

Then in looking at this stove and everything I found on a Stardance stoves it needed a B-vent adapter but wait a minute there was no room for such a thing i was totally stumped! I found out since this was an early stove it was B-Vent only well I had no clue but Bob DASKEY helped me with this B-Vent conceptI I had never heard it before. Strangely even the new stoves can be changed to a B-Vent I suppose if for some reason you couldnt vent out the back of the stove!

I post this so anyone else with a stove such as this that due to the parts not available concept and just junk it and buy another. Another can run 3k or more!! Well there is ways and methods to overcome these things and salvage a perfectly useful stove.

There are some real pros here who can guide you and help you. In addition you can do searches for parts you cannot seem to locate. The one big one was when I typed in replacement gas valve for this stove I got many hits and found what I needed. While not perfect it works and serves its purpose.

Even at 77 I am thankful for people to help and places to read and dwell on problems. I have found in life if you have a problem and you are stumped maybe set it down for a bit and come back to it things will clear up for you!

This stove has been an interesting journey and I will not post again about it but it has been such a learning experience with much trial and error along the way. It is nice try to do something and be successful with it. Even my neighbor who was deathly afraid of gas is now learning too I now have him learning to do flaring of copper gas line!