Outside Air Intake incorrectly installed.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

darb21

Oct 22, 2020
Saco, ME
Hello all-

We moved from Texas to Maine this summer and this whole having to worry about heat thing is pretty foreign to me... although not having to worry about cooling in the summer was nice! :) So we moved into a home with a pellet stove (Piazetta Monia 2.0) already installed, however, they have a dryer vent as the intake pipe between the wall and the stove, and the dryer vent is a good bit bigger than both the wall and stove connections. There is definitely outside air leaking in around those loose connections, and there may be some smoke blowback happening after the unit is shut off. My question is, what SHOULD be installed instead of the dryer vent pipe? I'm assuming that this should be a tight or sealed connection, correct?

Thanks for helping out a total pellet stove newbie!

1603395577840.png

A flexible metal hose is usually used, but of the correct diameter. Some people will use a hose clamp to secure the ends, especially if the hose does not fit snuggly. Measure the diameter of the mating fittings on the stove and the wall thimble, and buy the proper inner diameter hose to fit over the fittings.

I’ll let those more experience answer this, but shouldn’t there be some floor protection under that exhaust pipe?

shouldn’t there be some floor protection under that exhaust pipe?
Even with my stove cranking full out, I can stand with my hand on the double-walled pipe without being burned or overly uncomfortable. Maybe others are different but mine would not start a piece of paper burning

Mine gets pretty warm, maybe 170. I wouldn’t want that temp directly against anything combustible.

they must have used the dryer vent when they realized how expensive the proper hose was. When i did mine the only thing the locals would sell me is a 20-30 ft roll when all i needed was a foot... Cost me a arm and a leg

Looks like bath fan flex hose might fit that better?

@zrock Yeah, who knows. They did some things really well in this house, and others... well, head scratchers. @brenndatomu The next issue to work through is that the wall fitting is 3in whereas the stove fitting is 2in. Gonna have to find the 2in duct and some sort of a reducer for the wall fitting too. Not having much luck with the Googles.

Gonna have to find the 2in duct and some sort of a reducer for the wall fitting too. Not having much luck with the Googles.
Automotive exhaust pipe adapter...step up from 2" to 3"...now you are back to using bath fan flex hose...

I’ve used silicone couplers and intercooler piping off of eBay, cheap and fire proof

Just make 4 cuts in each end and put a radiator clamp around the ends. Then wrap each end with high Temperature foil tape from Home Depot. Problem Resolved!