Oven roasted chicken in the wood-fired oven. Warning: contains graphic gastronomic content.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fishingpol

Minister of Fire
Jul 13, 2010
Merrimack Valley, MA
Ok, so I haven't cooked a chicken in the oven yet and today was a perfect day for it. I used Weber's tipsy chicken recipe with bourbon, mustard and maple syrup glaze. I highly recommend the recipe.

Fired it hard as there was a good breeze that would cool the oven down.

IMG_2465.JPG

Raked the coals out to soak the floor.

IMG_2467.JPG

Quartered red potatoes tossed with onion powder, salt, pepper and rosemary around the chicken

IMG_2468.JPG

This little crock is cut potatoes with diced onion, cream, salt and pepper.

IMG_2466.JPG

Homemade rolls ready to go in.

IMG_2469.JPG

Rolls out.

IMG_2470.JPG

Chicken out a while later. The smells leaking past the wood baking door was incredible. A mix of a bready, onion, chicken sweet boozy smell filled the backyard. Words can't describe it exactly.

IMG_2474.JPG

A crusty crock of the onions and potatoes out. Oh, there was a dollop of butter in there while cooking.

IMG_2472.JPG

Another teaser. The browning on the chicken was from the sugar in the maple syrup. The bourbon didn't hurt it either.

IMG_2476.JPG

Sorry, favorite picture, I had to blow this one up. My wife made homemade gravy to top it off and it gave purpose for the rolls to sop it all up. This may be my new wallpaper pic on the pc.

IMG_2478.JPG

The overall meal took 3 hours from start to finish. It only took about 10 minutes to eat. I really need a nap now. My wife thinks this was the best meal out of the oven yet.

Oh, that looks OK, I guess. :rolleyes:

Wow.

I bet your neighbors either really hate you . . . or really love you . . . depending on how close they live to you and how often they're invited over for dinner. ;)

Reactions: fishingpol
Looks incredibly good! The rolls in that last picture looks like faces, and the one on the left is licking your chicken, just so u know!:p

Dangit Jon I just tried to eat my iPad again you and your awesome pics !

Pete

Don't know why I clicked on this thread again, back to the fridge I go to begrudgingly eat something.

If I only had the power to turn your pics black/white, I might be able to avoid eating food I don't need after seeing yours.

pen

My Banquet tv dinner was just as good. Really it was. Really...

Reactions: PapaDave
Oh man, I would have to click on this thread. Now I am really hungry. Signing out.

thanks for the warning...

Right on Jon that looks delicious.. I can practically smell it over here ;)

Ray

I bet your neighbors either really hate you . . . or really love you . . . depending on how close they live to you and how often they're invited over for dinner. ;)

They are fine with it. They are really close to us and have use of it anytime they want. As long as I get a cut of what they are making.

I'm just glad I can put the pics here where they can be enjoyed. Many co-workers and friends just don't appreciate this kind of stuff. I guess this has turned into a hobby now.

They are fine with it. They are really close to us and have use of it anytime they want. As long as I get a cut of what they are making.

I'm just glad I can put the pics here where they can be enjoyed. Many co-workers and friends just don't appreciate this kind of stuff. I guess this has turned into a hobby now.
That true Jon! Unless you're a wood burner you just don't understand! Here we understand each other ;) I do like your oven that's very cool!

Ray

Reactions: Thistle and ScotO
Ok, so who's close by in SE PA to come build me an oven like this? I have cooked in a beehive oven when we do 18th century re-enactments, cut right through the wall in the kitchen. I have my Dewalt saws all in my hand to make the hole, just need the skill set to build that stove!! Oh the things I could make....and share if course :)

Ok, now I'm hungry again after looking at those pictures (and the oven) again. While I didn't cook it on or in my stove, we had sliced veal hearts in an herbed burgundy sauce for dinner (sorry to the vegans) we live near a lot of farms and these cuts if meat are readily available. Try it sometimes, its good :) Here's the left overs....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 187
Reactions: albert1029
Ok, so who's close by in SE PA to come build me an oven like this? I have cooked in a beehive oven when we do 18th century re-enactments, cut right through the wall in the kitchen. I have my Dewalt saws all in my hand to make the hole, just need the skill set to build that stove!! Oh the things I could make....and share if course :)

I don't know if you have seen this series on Youtube for 18th century cooking, but it is very well put together and informative. Be warned, you may want an oven even more.

I've never seen this so thanks for sharing. I am very familiar with Townsend, they are the premier sutler for 18th century clothing and such. A few years ago, I was fortunate enough to cook in "Bertha" an earthen oven with our 15th century group that built one to compete in a cooking contest at Military Through The Ages in Jamestown, VA (we lost to the indian encampment that was making open pit dog, that was really a goat) Now, I see this being a spring project! I'll let you know how it goes!!! I can smell the coals cooking already!

Status
Not open for further replies.