Overfire scare - Lesson learned

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ropelie

Dec 19, 2013
Iowa
I just got done working overtime at a structure fire and could not wait to get warmed up. I loaded the Madison to the gills with some 12-15% oak from a friend. I scooped the coals forward like I always do and left the door cracked for a few minutes everything took off great, closed her up and started backing down the air at about 400 stove top. She soon hits 500, 600, at 650 I got nervous and she topped out at around 780.

I tried opening the door all the way for a little bit like I've read on here with poor results. I turned the blower on high and put a box fan on the stove also, she leveled off at the 780. After a few more minutes it got down to 700, then it was reasonable. I could not control this thing! I thought I had put too much wood in, too small or left the door open too long.

Fast forward to later that day I throw a half load on to get me trough the day. While watching the fire I notice very fast moving flames on the bottom of the fire box. Upon investigating I notice that the ash dump is dislodged! I have never used it and must have dumped it while raking the coals. I gloved up and cleaned out as much of the ash around the opening as I could to get it back to seal. The fire was controllable after that.

What a scare, the stove seems to have survived. I know 780 isn't extreme but it was more than I was hoping for! I think I am going to replace the ash dump with fire brick so this can't happen again.

I get nervous when the summit gets close to 700 , good thing you found the problem

Good man realizing you have a problem and figuring it out. Not everyone does.

It would be nice is stove mfg. made ash dumps an option instead of tacking them on to stoves as a value added feature.

Reactions: Seanm
Some like the ash dump but after using mine a few times and reading about leaks I packed the space with ash, and made sure it was tightly sealed and never looked back.

It would be nice is stove mfg. made ash dumps an option instead of tacking them on to stoves as a value added feature.

Even more, (since the ash door was an option on PE) I wish the dealer wouldn't have touted how handy they are. In hind sight, a pretty useless option. I used it once.

Reactions: Seanm
Factory standard on the Alderlea and just as useless. The ashpan makes a good bun warmer though.

Factory standard on the Alderlea and just as useless. The ashpan makes a good bun warmer though.
never thought about trying that.......

Status
Not open for further replies.