Oversized Storage Tanks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jimxt88 said:
Thanks Hugh. I am thinking in terms of a fast hot gasified burn of cord wood - that is a fixed amount of energy right? The amount of energy released during a burn like that isn't affected by the exchange medium. If I give the burn a number, say 100 energy units, you are saying water will absorb 10 units of when oil will absorb onlly 4. Do I have that right?

For equal temperature change, the water will store 2.5 times as much energy per pound or about 3 times as much per unit volume compared to oil.

In regards to phase change heat storage, paraffin can store ~ 65 BTUs/lb just in the act of melting without a temperature change. Once melted, paraffin's specific heat is ~ 0.7BTUs per pound.

Hugh

Pook said:
oversized water storage & lower water temp. may result in a better environment for bacterial growth.
recently read that the domestic water heater tank should be cranked up ti 150? every so often so to sanitize the tank. forgot the exact specs.
edit: nevermind. i figured it out. doh.

Status
Not open for further replies.