Overtemp situation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kgryder

Jul 23, 2008
NC
Hi guys:
I'm sooo close to firing up my Econburn! I've got my new flue and power to the boiler. just need to finish the plumbing it would have been finished yesterday if the circulation pump they sent with the stove had included flanges. Maybe I'll have them Monday. I wont have all of my storage on line at first, the tanks are laying out in the snow in need of some modifications.

The boiler has contacts for an over temperature valve. Since I've got three zone valves in my system my thought was that in a over temperature situation I would just open all 3 zone valves and dump the excess heat into the house and into the storage.
I'd like to hear your thoughts on this.
My other thought was to set up a radiant heat zone under my wood stack and use any excess heat to help dry my fire wood. but at the moment I don't want to buy any more copper if I don't have to.

you need to be sure that anything that you expect to work as a gravity zone is entirely above the boiler and doesn't have any big vertical dips or jogs-- so that it will, in fact, effectively and reliably "thermosyphon"

in my install, it's ended up easier to take a suggestion that HotRod ("in hot water") gave me- which is to get a Laing DC circulator and a 12v battery with a drop-out relay that turns the DC system on when the power fails, and I got ahold of a new but cosmetically damaged large panel radiator to hook to that circulator- it's basically going to be a zone unto itself to help the boiler achieve a "soft landing" if power fails

Pybyr:
For a power lost I'm planning a battery backup and inverter to just run the pump for a smooth shutdown. I've got an aquastat on the outlet side of the boiler so I will just run the pump on battery until I cool down. I'm thinking the overtemp would be different situation. If I get to the over temperature setting it means I'm not pulling enough heat out of the unit. So If I open all of the zone valves that should be the max heat load.

kgryder said:
Hi guys:
I'm sooo close to firing up my Econburn! I've got my new flue and power to the boiler. just need to finish the plumbing it would have been finished yesterday if the circulation pump they sent with the stove had included flanges. Maybe I'll have them Monday. I wont have all of my storage on line at first, the tanks are laying out in the snow in need of some modifications.

The boiler has contacts for an over temperature valve. Since I've got three zone valves in my system my thought was that in a over temperature situation I would just open all 3 zone valves and dump the excess heat into the house and into the storage.
I'd like to hear your thoughts on this.
My other thought was to set up a radiant heat zone under my wood stack and use any excess heat to help dry my fire wood. but at the moment I don't want to buy any more copper if I don't have to.

Sounds like it would work to me. It would also have to kick the circ on I assume as opening valves does little (except what gravity does for you).

kgryder- you're ahead of me in actually being to the wiring hook up, but as I thought I understood it, the overtemp wiring from the control box was to go to the high limit aquastat, and when that circuit "goes open" it kills power to the fan. So I am thinking that the contacts are for an overtemp switch, not an overtemp valve

you should probably contact Dale or Mark at Econoburn- they're great at providing support

the manual has a schematic of the boiler's internal wiring, which should also shed some light on how the contacts you are referring to are intended to be used

Status
Not open for further replies.