owb Circulator pump electric consumption

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

adamant

Sep 30, 2007
i am going to try to keep my central boiler running all summer to heat my domestic hot water. i by passed my heat exchanger and now the central boiler runs through my side are on my hot water heater. i am concerned with the unit running all the time and the electric consumption i have the bigger pump talco 014 which uses 1.7 amps unlike the 007 that uses .70 amps that most of you use on your boiler. i was thinking about putting the talco on a in line timer and only running the pump around dinner time to heat the hot water back up. what do you guys think about this? and do you think its a overkill ?

adamant said:
i am going to try to keep my central boiler running all summer to heat my domestic hot water. i by passed my heat exchanger and now the central boiler runs through my side are on my hot water heater. i am concerned with the unit running all the time and the electric consumption i have the bigger pump talco 014 which uses 1.7 amps unlike the 007 that uses .70 amps that most of you use on your boiler. i was thinking about putting the talco on a in line timer and only running the pump around dinner time to heat the hot water back up. what do you guys think about this? and do you think its a overkill ?

You can figure this out pretty easy. Take your electric cost per KWH and multiply it by the wattage of the circ. The circ factor would be 1.7 (watts) times 120(volts) = 204 watts. Roughly 1/5 of a KW. Lets assume for the equations sake that your KWH cost is the national average which is roughly $.11/KWH.
.204 x 11cents/KWH = $.225 per hour. or $5.40 per 24 hour day or $162.00 per month.

Cost of a good 24 hour timer....maybe $70-100 (commercial grade)

If you run the circ only half the time you save $80.00 or so

Payback is only one month under this scenario. What does your winter time electric bill run?

Now.................any circ will pull its rated amperage draw when it's pumping the maximum GPM. I would assume that you have 1" line (everybody does) so if you're running any distance at all that 0014 is going to be well off it's efficiency curve and the amperage draw would be less. You actual operating cost would not be $162 per month. Your idea of the timer makes good economic sense regardless.

Larger bore tubing and small circs are always a good investment.

Heaterman, you are without a doubt my favorite boiler room poster so it is with great humility I must correct your calculations. I think you got lost in your dollars and cents conversion factor. Operating cost should be $16/mo. not $160/mo.

atlarge54 said:
Heaterman, you are without a doubt my favorite boiler room poster so it is with great humility I must correct your calculations. I think you got lost in your dollars and cents conversion factor. Operating cost should be $16/mo. not $160/mo.

Ayah!! That's what I get for trying to do math at 7 in the morning.. If I was in full possession of my faculties I would have caught that. Sheeesshh $160 a month..........DUH :0

Status
Not open for further replies.