p38 3 blinking lights ESP continual problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
If you replace the board and put a OEM ESP in that is all the controls of the stove.

yep.. picked up a: "Harman, Heatilator and Eco-Choice Black Wire ESP Probe 1-00-00744 / 3-20-11744 for P61A, P68, PC45, PF100, XXV, Accentra, Advance, Invincible, P38, P61,!! "
original item on amazon is gone now... but this looks like it exactly:
Harman-Heatilator-Black-Thermistor-3-20-11744

So I do not believe that is an OEM ESP. but it is a new ESP. So I swapped it.

I haven't replaced the board.

So I guess I should just bite the bullet and buy a new board too huh. rickwai?

Last edited:
yep.. picked up a: "Harman, Heatilator and Eco-Choice Black Wire ESP Probe 1-00-00744 / 3-20-11744 for P61A, P68, PC45, PF100, XXV, Accentra, Advance, Invincible, P38, P61,!! "
original item on amazon is gone now... but this looks like it exactly:
Harman-Heatilator-Black-Thermistor-3-20-11744

So I do not believe that is an OEM ESP. but it is a new ESP. So I swapped it.

I haven't replaced the board.

So I guess I should just bite the bullet and buy a new board too huh. rickwai?
Yes

Reactions: gfreek and Ssyko
and we're back... new board put in... and

and...

It's acting just like the old one I pulled out :(
ie. plug in - even with stove cold and turned to off. All blowers are running, and auger kicks on for 2 seconds every minute or so. Will not turn on all blowers and auger when turned to TEST mode.

Something is thrown off - and I would be very suspect if it was the board now that I've replaced that.

Seriously come on!!!! there's only so many pieces that could go wrong. could the ESP probe that I bought in January die already, and I need a new one of those now?

OK ,So you installed a new board with a new room sensor, with an aftermarket ESP purchased in January and have the same issue. I would unplug the unit, plug it into a different outlet on a different circuit & run the test. Same ? Reinstall the old ESP into the board just let it hang and test. If it tests exactly the same, something weird may be going on here...And what are the chances that both ESP are defective..?? No new ESP with new board.?? It pretty much runs the board..Have you tried to use the stove ? Me I would one by one disconnect each motor and test ..could the harness be bad some where ??..Whats happening makes no sense..I am not a stove tech, others here are and may have other ideas..

Reactions: Washed-Up
(never replaced room sensor - that was something that has been static the whole time)

so yeah, ordered a new ESP probe on Thursday. It arrived this morning and I put it in with the new board... everything works fine... (ie. reconnect all, plug it in; and it just sits quiet in the off position, test mode works fine, fans all run as expected, etc)

I'm tempted to try the old circuit board with the new ESP probe - to see how that works. ie. find out if I didn't have to get a new circuit board, I just needed a new ESP probe because the aftermarket one I got was crap.
I can't imagine the circuit board was what caused that ESP probe to fail, hence why I'm thinking of using the old circuit board. (and I guess putting my new circuit board on the shelf as backup???)

I appreciate all the feedback all!!!

New ESP , Harman or after market ?

wondering if i could jump in here real quick and have someone translate this chart for me: http://rs.woodmanspartsplus.com/company_41/Harman Dipswitch Reference Chart.pdf
i have the harmon accentra insert, new control board 3-20-05886, it has black wires so i assume we're talking the 'black esp settings'. (the original board when stove was new was the board ending in ....5374)
the original settings (on the 5374were 11100000). the paper that came with the new board shows: 00101100, this setting caused and ESP error/three blinks
the link to the chart looks to have two options for the accentra insert? i don't know what that means where the top line shows ABC the lower line shows D and above.

wondering if i could jump in here real quick and have someone translate this chart for me: http://rs.woodmanspartsplus.com/company_41/Harman Dipswitch Reference Chart.pdf
i have the harmon accentra insert, new control board 3-20-05886, it has black wires so i assume we're talking the 'black esp settings'. (the original board when stove was new was the board ending in ....5374)
the original settings (on the 5374were 11100000). the paper that came with the new board shows: 00101100, this setting caused and ESP error/three blinks
the link to the chart looks to have two options for the accentra insert? i don't know what that means where the top line shows ABC the lower line shows D and above.

disregard, i found another post regarding this. there is an 'F' at the end of the board number. i will use the 'D and up' settings.

Reactions: Washed-Up
So approx 3 weeks with the after market probe, and no issues. It's still working like a champ. So the probe I bought was a dud, which made me buy a new board... which I will simply store - and if I need it later. I guess I have one ready to go! So much drama for just an ESP sensor!! thanks everyone for their valuable input!